Student Designers Feature Work in ATD Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With countless of hours dedicated to the preperation and designs put into the annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show, it was merely a full house with audience members, excited to see the designs coming down the runway! 

On Sunday, March 15, over 90 designs constructed by Apparel and Textile Design students at Michigan State University were presented during the live show. Roughly 300 pieces were submitted to the Fashion Show jury months before the show, and only a few were selected to actually present. Students spend weeks to months on designs and gather inspiration from everything and anything! 

The show started at 7:00 p.m., but designers and models had been up since 7:00 a.m. to start preparing for their long day ahead. 

Most designers had their models in hair and make-up at roughly 8:00 a.m., and with just enough time to grab a coffee—unless their assistant did it for them—headed over to the Wharton Center for rehearsal. 

The designers set up camp inside the Wharton Center dressing rooms. This is where they will finish any final touches needed for their garments, hair, and make-up. 

After designers have their models dressed and ready to go, there is a dress rehersal that allows the model to get firmiliar with the catwalk and for the judges to see the garments before the show. This year, studio art professors Alisa Henriquez and Michelle Word were joined by art historian Candace Keller and Target design director and MSU alumna Karen Rasmussen. It was their job to choose who won the awards for judges choice award, most innovative, and best in show. 

The winners last night are featured in the video below. 

Here are some of our favorite looks of the night! 

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso