photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Struggles of the Wanderlust-ful Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Your Tumblr is full of beautiful, cringe-worthy photos.

And you’ve seriously questioned every life decision you’ve ever made and why you’re not the people in those pictures. They have hit the lottery of lifestyles. They must all be undercover hitmen, accumulating millions, or they saved 4,000 babies from a fire in their previous lives; luck of that magnitude does not just happen.

You have an endless list of places you want to see.

Step aside dream journal and food diary, your “To See” list is the only thing you track on a day-to-day basis. Simply pinning or reblogging these places is not enough. The desire and determination to experience these terrains motivates you so much that you actually put pen to paper.

Your wardrobe says, “I’ve hiked every National Park in the U.S.,” but your wallet begs to differ.

No one understands why you wore your waterproof hiking boots to the caf and how you can, quite literally, wear a different Patagonia hat for two weeks straight, without repeating. It is beside the point that your gear has only seen the trek from one side of campus to the other.

You’ve found yourself researching for cheap airfare when you should be outlining a research essay.

Oh, how much you love Expedia and Travelocity! Apologies, Chem paper… Your time will come.

Living out of a backpack sounds so much more appealing than a dorm room.

When North Face supplies you with the most dynamic backpacks in the world, that feature approximately 85 pockets and 10,000 zippers, how could living out of a backpack not sound fun?! That, and the great outdoors, is probably more sanitary than community bathrooms.

An argument erupts every time someone says Huskies aren’t the superior dog breed.

What other dog could withstand travelling the world by your side and look damn good doing it? End of discussion.

You take climate change very personally.

What’s even more frustrating than climate change? People who say it’s not real. How dare they not care about you seeing the world! If Machu Picchu has disintegrated into nothingness before you can lay eyes on it, someone in power is going to pay.

Despite those who think this is just a phase, you fight to keep your dream alive.

Leaving the comfort of home and taking that leap of faith in the world is not something that comes easily to people. You have always known that you are different in that aspect, and you will never lose your passion to wander.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian