Stephen Humes ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Age: 22

Major: Physiology major with a specialization in bioethics, humanities and society

Hometown: Troy, MI

Relationship Status: Single

How did you get involved with running and the MSU Men’s Cross team here at State: I actually started running track in high school, mainly to stay in shape for soccer.  Soccer had always been my primary sport  and I played club soccer all through high school in the spring, while I ran track on the side.  My senior year I finally switched over to running track primarily in the spring and ended up running some pretty fast times.  After that spring I kind of switched my thoughts of playing soccer in college to running in college and decided to walk on to the MSU team, and it’s worked out pretty well ever since.

Favorite thing about being an athlete at State: There’s a lot of things that I enjoy about being an athlete, but I would probably have to say I love competing the most.  It is so much fun traveling all over the country and putting months and even years of hard work into action with my teammates and MSU.

On/off campus clubs or organizations: I am a part of a couple of pre-med societies/associations, although I don’t do a whole lot with those.  I try to volunteer as much as possible with the opportunities given by SASS (Student-Athlete Support Services) and I have volunteered at Children’s Hospital in Detroit.

Favorite things to do on/off campus: As cliche of an answer as this is, I would have to say probably just hanging out.  The life of a student-athlete can be pretty hectic/stressful and it’s really nice to just kick back every once in a while.  I do really like to play volleyball and pretty much any sport and also enjoy riding motorcycles.  It’s fun to be lazy though.

Favorite bar in Downtown EL? I probably don’t go out nearly as much as most, but I’d have to say it all depends on what kind of night I’m looking for.  Overall, probably Dublin.

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!