This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Is it just me or does the beginning of spring always feel like a new start? Although it’s not the beginning of the year, I always end up getting my fresh start to the year once spring kicks off. Something about the warmer weather and brighter skies makes me feel like it’s a new day and anything is possible. It’s beginning to feel like this around East Lansing, so in this article I’ll be showing you the best ways to start fresh this year. 

A great way to start fresh during a new year is to do something new with your appearance, and a really fun way to do that is to get your nails done. Whether that means going to the nail salon or doing it yourself at home, there are a lot of gorgeous sets to try. I personally like browsing on pinterest for acrylics or gel sets to see what I might like. Going to Target or Ulta to get press ons is also an easy and affordable way to get your nails done. They’re usually around ten dollars and work great.

Another (and one of my favorite) ways to change up your appearance is by getting your hair done. For the black girls reading this article, try a new protective style. Whether you like to keep your hair natural or not, there are so many options to choose from. For example, you don’t have to blow-dry your hair to get faux locs or box braids if you want to completely stay away from heat. Twist outs and braid outs are also really cute ideas. If you don’t want to keep your hair natural, get a silk press or blow-dry your hair for a protective style. Also, getting a new hair color is fun for everyone. Experiment with something different, get something you’ve always wanted, or touch up what you already have. 

Unfortunately, we still have to focus on school. Although it may be tough, I find that making the work look nice gives me more motivation to do it. I do this by color coding my notes or getting new school supplies that are prettier or just different from my old ones. As much as that helps, college is still stressful, therefore during this year’s fresh start you need some fresh ways to relax. There are always new books or movies to try, and if you want to prolong the experiment, start a book series or tv show. Go to a bookstore to find something new or look in a section of a streaming app that you don’t normally go to. You’re bound to find something to take your mind off things and make you smile. 

During this new start, I want us to take care of our work and ourselves. Make sure you do the best you can school wise and when you’re finished be gentle with yourself. Don’t expect perfection or to finish every task all the time and reward yourself after every work session, whether it be a slow one or one where you overachieved. Cozy up in your favorite blanket with your fluffiest stuffed animal and read that new book or tv show that you found until it’s time to get something you love for dinner. Make sure you’re loving yourself before you continue to work hard towards your career.

Kayla is a freshman at Michigan State University majoring in physics. With her future degree she wants to be a physicist who works on modern physics research. Her passions include writing, running, reading, and playing her instruments. She likes to write HCMSU articles about mental health and aesthetically pleasing self care.