Spruce up your Spring Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Sometimes just going home for spring break isn’t enough.  As much as you love seeing your parents and friends from home, you’re in need of an escape.  It seems like all your friends are throwing down a lot of money just to get somewhere warm and that’s not what you want this year.  Don’t worry if this sounds familiar, we have some ideas for you!

Spruce it Up By. . .

Go Somewhere You’ve Never Been

This doesn’t require the cost of a trip to Florida and doesn’t have to be overnight.  Take a day trip down to the Detroit museums and talk a walk on the river front, drive up to somewhere local and dine somewhere new, etc.  For the more adventurous, take a trip to Chicago. The train tickets are not too expensive and spend sometime bonding with your friends walking the city.   It doesn’t matter how you do it, but just push your comfort zone and get out there.

Work

Even though you might have hated your job from last summer, chances are they would love to have you back for even a few days.  Being a trained employee and known to the people working there gives you the opportunity to pick up a few hours during your time off!

Get Fit

Lucky for you there won’t be any fighting for the last machine like in the weeks before spring break.  Take the time to assess your habits, make some goals and start to work for them.  Bonus: you won’t have to fight the crowds of people trying to get in shape before spring break!

Catch up on your Favorites

Pick up those books and movies and get ready to relax!  We recommend reading the books that have become movies so you get to read and see it!  Check out recent releases in print and on the big screen such as “Life of Pi”, “Perks of Being a Wallflower”, our favorite Nicholas Sparks stories, “The Hobbit” or even the next “Hunger Games” book in the series.

Go Home with a Friend from College

Even though you won’t be away long, sometimes going home with a friend is the way to go.  It gives you the feeling of going home without the pressure of your own parents or the need to spend time with all of your friends at home.  This also gives you a chance to get a deeper understanding of your friend and what their home life is like.

Volunteer

It may be too late to sign up for the spring break volunteer trip to South America, but that doesn’t mean your local community doesn’t need your help!  Not only are you going to feel good, it gives you the chance to ad something to your resume.  Next time the career fair rolls around, your resume will stand out!

With all of this in mind, don’t mope over spring break.  Get yourself out there and make the best of spring break, even if you never leave your hometown!

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis