This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

After what feels like ages of winter, spring has finally arrived! The warming weather is our cue to put away winter boots, hang up the heavy parka, and make room for a new wardrobe. While there are no rules to fashion, I have made a list of tips to keep you looking fresh through the season.

1. Don’t go overboard on florals

There are so many beautiful floral patterns out there — with that being said, they shouldn’t be mixed together and should only be worn in small amounts. Keep in mind that a lot of people will be wearing the pattern as well, meaning the cute outfit you planned might not stick out as much as you hoped.

2. Stick to light colored clothing

For practical purposes, wear lighter colored clothes outside to stay cool. Not only do dark colors attract sunlight, but they’re associated with sad emotions.

3. Wear layers

During spring the weather tends to change drastically throughout the day. Wearing a light sweater or a jean jacket over a t shirt or a skirt with tights is great way to compensate for any changes in temperature.

4. Cuff your jeans

No need to buy new pants! Simply rolling up your jeans gives them a whole new look.

5. Trade boots and sneakers for sandals and flats

A nice pair of sandals, like Birkenstocks, go with everything. Not only are they super easy to slip on, but they give your body room to breathe. If it’s still too chilly to wear sandals, a pair of flats are a great alternative because they’re light as well.

6. Get rain gear you won’t hate wearing

You don’t have to spend a lot of money on a designer rain jacket or boots to look cute, especially if you live in an area that isn’t particularly rainy. Having rain gear in neutral colors or in a matching is great because you can wear them with your outfit without compromising fashion.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.