Image from iOS 2jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Image from iOS 2jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring is right around the corner and you know what that means — Spring cleaning! I have a few tips to help your spring cleaning process feel a little less overwhelming. 

Make a List and Plan Ahead

Before you touch anything, make a list of what you need: whether it is organizing bins or cleaning supplies. Next, make a list of the rooms you want to get done cleaning first and which ones you want to get done with last. I would recommend starting with the ones you’re dreading the most. Just get the worst rooms out of the way. Don’t forget to include smaller spaces such as closets, dressers, bathrooms, etc. 

Pick a Room and Start

For some, spring cleaning can be overwhelming. I recommend just picking the first room on your list, and choosing a corner to get started. This will make cleaning easier because you will be focusing on a small area of that room. For example: You pick the kitchen to start off, open a cupboard and clean that part of the kitchen first. Stop overthinking and stressing yourself out more and instead just start cleaning a part of the room. 

Have Three Piles

I recommend having three piles while cleaning: trash, give away, and keep piles. These will keep you organized while going through your things. If you want you can have an extra pile to put items you’re unsure about in. Don’t overthink it either. If you have a sweater that has been in your closet for over a year unworn, give it away. You are not going to wear it again after a year of it just laying there. 

Dust, Polish, and Wash

While you’re going through your things, don’t forget to actually clean. After getting rid of all the stuff you do not want or need, take everything out and wash it. Additionally, dust any surfaces, polish any wooden furniture, and wipe out any drawers. This will make your storage clean before you put things back. 

Organize and Store

After you clean and decide what items you want to keep, you will need to put everything back and organize it. If you don’t know where you want certain things, looking ideas up on Pinterest will help a lot. There are thousands of ideas online of how to organize any part of your house. Using dividers, bins, containers, and shelves will help you keep you organized as well. 

I hope that these tips will help you with your spring cleaning. Remember to pace yourself so you can do a thorough job. Play some music and get started. Happy cleaning!

Maia is a freshman at Michigan State University majoring in Human Biology. She is passionate about health, fitness, and fashion. During her free time she loves cooking, shopping, and spending time with friends and family.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.