Spring Break Skin Care Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The semester is slowly making its way to everybody’s favorite part of spring semester, spring break. For those of you making your ways to tropical, sunny lands –taking a hiatus from snow covered Michigan—there is one thing to remember: protect yourself from sun exposure. With these past months of freezing weather, we’ve done our best to protect our skin from chapping and from getting freezer burn, now it’s time to take those skin saving practices to your spring break location. Here are five easy ways to keep your skin healthy and protected from harsh UV rays.

Cover Up: 

While it may seem a little silly to not soak up as much sun as possible since you don’t get much in Michigan, remember that those rays are not good for unprotected skin. Grab a quick cover up to throw over your suit for at least a little protection.

Sunscreen:

Probably the most important part to protecting your skin. You will want to apply sunscreen about 20-30 minutes before going out to allow your skin to soak it in. If you are more likely to burn then you may want to consider putting it on the night before. Use a minimum of SPF 15.

Reapply:

This is forgotten all the time, you put the sunscreen on once and never again. Sunscreen needs to be applied about every two hours to keep you safe throughout the day. If you are in the pool, ocean, or sweating, you are going to need to apply more often as the lotion will rub off. 

Avoid Sunbathing:

There is no such thing as a healthy tan. While you are bound to soak up some sun, try not to lather up in baby oil and lay out in it for hours. Consider other options! Instead of relying of tanning beds, or frying your skin outside, consider other ways to obtain that healthy sun-kissed look. There are a lot of bronzing lotions, or spray tans. When done properly you won’t look like a walking Cheetos at all.

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso