This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Everyone knows that spooky season is all about the scares and sweets. During this time of the year, my favorite activity is curling up under the covers with a snack while watching a scary movie. These are a few of my favorite snacks that’ll get you in the spooky season spirit! 

Barmbrack

Halloween originated as an ancient Celtic festival and has evolved over time to what we celebrate today. During Celtic times, it was traditional to eat Barmbrack during Halloween. To this day it’s still a fun tradition and a delicious snack. It is essentially bread that has dried fruit, nuts, and spices mixed in. The fun part is that inside the bread there are hidden items that determine the future of those who find them.

Carmel Corn

Carmel corn is delicious and super easy to make! Basically you pour a caramel mixture onto popcorn then bake the caramel coated popcorn. Once it cools, you can eat it or add to it. There are endless possibible additions, but some of my favorites are chocolate, candy corn, pretzels, and nuts.

Apple monster

These apple bites will look like they’re ready to take a bite out of you! You cut an apple into quarters then cut out a middle slice from the quarter. Inside the area that was cut out (the “mouth”) you spread peanut butter (or sunbutter). Then you can put teeth in the mouth. Teeth can be sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts, pretzels or raisins. Eyes can be raisins, chocolate, or candy eyes. There’s lots of ways to get creative with this snack! A bonus is that making these snacks can be a party activity in and of itself.

Witch Finger Pretzels

Chocolate covered pretzels are the perfect combination of salty and sweet. You can easily make this snack spooky. The trick is to dip pretzel rods into green colored chocolate. Then place almonds or raisins on the tip of one side for the nail.

Mummy (Hot) Dogs

Pigs-in-a-blanket is always a party hit but what about mummy dogs? These are essentially a hot dog (or cocktail wiener) wrapped up in a crescent roll like a mummy. For eyes you can use candy eyes or use a dot of ketchup/mustard.

Jack O’ Lantern Rice Krispie Treat

This treat takes a little more effort but the result is worth it. You make rice crispy treats as you normally would but make the mixture orange with food coloring. If you have trouble shaping the treat correctly, a mini bundt pan can help. You can take two treats from the pan and press them together to make a pumpkin shape. Then a chocolate or a stem shaped rice crispy treat can go on top. The face can be made with whatever you desire, but chocolates or black icing are usually the easiest options.

These snacks are my go-tos come spooky season. They’re great for every occasion from a Halloween party to a movie marathon. I can guarantee that with these snacks you’ll have a sweet spooky season.

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.