This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spooky season is in full swing, and what better way to celebrate than by making a spooky basket for you best friend, significant other, a sibling, or anyone in your life really? Besides just putting in their favorite candy and a pumpkin, here are a few unique ideas to spice a spooky basket up and make it a unique and memorable gift.

Cute cups and mugs

These are ideal to give to your best friend or someone older— but still something cute to include if you’re looking to fill a little space or if that someone special just adores coffee or tea.

Fuzzy socks, hats, gloves, scarves

You can add basically anything to stay warm—they don’t even have to be Halloween themed! These items would be good for any person.

A Halloween movie

For someone younger, you could add something like “Beetlegeuse,” “Coraline,” “Frankenweenie,” “Hocus Pocus,” “Goosebumps,” or “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” For someone older, you could add any family friendly movie— or you could take the scary or classical route.

Pumpkin or apple scents

You can never go wrong with any sort of lotion, candle or hand sanitizer in a fun fall scent.

PJs

Bonus points if you get yourself a matching set!

Glowsticks

These are probably more ideal for someone younger as they’re really fun for trick-or-treating— but even I love glow sticks so I’m sure there are others out there that would appreciate them just as much. Pro tip: check at the dollar store for these first.

Stickers

Laptop stickers are perfect for any college student— otherwise, stick with Halloween themed stickers.

Baked goods

Any sort of cookies you made yourself can be fun to throw in if you’re still fishing for ideas, or making something for someone who doesn’t like much candy.

A Blanket

Whether you buy it or make it yourself, a blanket is always a good gift for anyone.

Other snacks besides candy

Be creative with this one— things like popcorn, ramen, soup or beef jerky are all really good ideas you probably haven’t even thought of.

If you want to make your basket just a little extra, these are all easy ideas to fill space and make it more memorable. You can also buy many of these items in bulk, so if you’re making multiple baskets, it’ll make shopping a little bit easier. Just find a basket or bucket, fill it up, and top it off with a cute note, and you’re all set— just don’t forget to take a picture!

Kaytlyn is a Senior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over six years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program, College Fashionista program, and the HCM Internship Credit program. Outside of Her Campus, Kaytlyn has two cats, Leo and Zelda, as well as a ferret named Willow. She is also the President, Marketing Director, and a co-founder of the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is also a cheer coach.
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.