Snacks to Eat to Avoid Eating Everything in Your (Mini) Fridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As a college student snacking is an easy go-to when studying, in between classes, or after a late night out. Especially now when taking classes from a dorm, apartment, or house snacking is more tempting than ever. While snacking is beneficial to curb hunger or get some much-needed energy it can have negative impacts. It’s not healthy to constantly eat sugary snacks with empty calories. Here are some of my healthier go-to snacks that can substitute for sugary and fatty snacks.

Bananas 

Eating a banana for breakfast has become part of my daily routine. The health benefits of bananas are immense since they’re a great source of vitamins, particularly vitamin B6 and potassium. They can be added to anything from cereal to yogurt to a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Also, if you don’t get around to eating them before they turn brown, you can pop them in the freezer and use them to make banana bread or another delicious treat later.

Yogurt

There are many ways to enjoy yogurt; it can be enjoyed alone, with dried fruit, granola, berries, and bananas. My favorite brands are Stonyfield, Siggi’s, and Noosa. One drawback is that fruited or flavored yogurts can have added sugar. Even so, yogurt is delicious at any time of day and can be consumed as a snack or to supplement a meal.

Dried Fruit

A wonderful alternative to candy is dried fruit. Personally, my dried fruit favorites are mangos, bananas, and dates. You can add them to oatmeal, yogurt, and cereal. An added plus is they don’t perish like fresh fruit. However, you should limit your intake because they can be high in sugar and calories.

Popcorn

I have to have popcorn available at all times. In my household, it is considered a dietary staple. The brands we most often pop are Boom Chicka Pop and Whole Food’s 365 Organic Microwave Popcorn. When on the go, a bag of one of the many flavors of Boom Chicka Pop and SkinnyPop satisfies the craving for popcorn. To give plain popcorn some extra flavor you could add some herbs/spices or Valentina hot sauce. Popcorn can also be a nice addition to trail mix.

Trail mix

Trail mix is an extremely underrated snack. You can tailor it to what meets your needs or get a premade bag. The possibilities presented to you with trail mix is limitless! Dried fruits, nuts, seeds, raisins, dark chocolate, popcorn, and pretzels are only a few of the items that can create a delicious trail mix. It is the perfect on-the-go snack that can easily be made from a dorm room. This snack can be addicting though, so the key is to portion out your trail mix instead of eating it straight from the bowl/bag.

Hummus

Hummus is a smooth and tasty snack consisting of chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. A variety of ingredients can be added to these four base ingredients to enrich the flavor such as garlic, tahini, and cumin. Hummus is a source of many vitamins and minerals as well as protein and fiber. What makes me so addicted to hummus is the diversity of foods it can be paired with. It goes well with pita, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes and so much more! The variety of hummus flavors and foods it can be paired with provide options that appeal to everyone. 

Dried Seaweed

GimMe Organic Roasted Seaweed is a popular snack in my household. Seaweed contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. With each crunch you’re able to taste the unique umami flavor of seaweed that makes it so appealing. It is important to note that it is high in both sodium and iodine which, while beneficial for your body in certain amounts, can be bad for you in excessive quanities. 

Energy Bars

Over the years I’ve found it helpful to always have an energy bar with me. Especially when I swam early in the morning, it was good to have one to give me energy post-workout and keep my blood sugar up. Energy bars can be selected or customized to fit your needs. There are plenty of different recipes you can choose from that are quick and easy to make. I like a mix of honey, peanut butter, rolled oats, dried fruit, and nuts in mine. When buying energy bars pay attention to which bars you’re buying. They should be less than 200 calories, have minimal sugar, and no trans fat. When I’m not making my own, I typically get Kind bars, Larabars, GoMacroBars, or RxBars.

Honorary Mention: Herbal Tea

While snacks are technically food and not drinks, sometimes a drink is what you really need. It’s a good idea to find alternatives to sugary sodas. Herbal teas have a variety of benefits depending on which ones you choose. Elderberry and ginger teas boost your immune system. Peppermint, Chamomile, and Lavender can help ease some of that school induced stress and anxiety. There’s a tea suited for everyone’s tastebuds and needs. Also, it’s fairly easy to prepare tea by heating up water in the microwave (or on the stove) and dropping in a teabag.

There are many different healthy snack selections, but these are some of the ones that I like to keep stocked up on. The ability to alter snacks to your tastes allows for something that appeals to everyone. That being said, everyone has different tastes, so next time you’re at the store select some healthy options that cater to your taste buds and snacking needs!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.