Life > Experiences

6 little things I’ll miss about MSU

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Attending Michigan State University has been an amazing experience, and as someone graduating this December, I only have a few more weeks to enjoy it. There are big things I’ll miss – my friends, my classes, student organizations, the campus, etc. – but there are also little day-to-day things that have made my five semesters in person unforgettable.

1. East Neighborhood

Because of the pandemic, my entire first year was online. And since I’m graduating a semester early, I’ve only gotten five full semesters on campus. MSU is split up into “neighborhoods,” and I’ve spent all of my time in the East Neighborhood area, thanks to an apartment so close to campus. Over the years, I’ve gotten to know the area well. I know which buses come to which stops when and where they’re going. I know the fastest way to get from point A to point B starting from any particular building or sidewalk. I have taken the route to and from class in rain, snow, sun, slush, wind, and everything in between. I’m super attached to East and will miss it so much. 

2. ComArtSci Building

More than any other building on campus, the Communication Arts and Sciences building feels the most like home. I love the atmosphere there. It’s not as new and renovated as some other places, but it’s an inviting space. As someone who doesn’t like working in absolute quiet, I like that there’s always a little bit of buzz that makes it feel alive. Of all of the buildings I’ve had class in, met for clubs in, or been to events in, none will ever compare to ComArtSci for me, because there is nowhere else on campus that I feel as at home. 

3. BPS Gardens

Spending time on campus allows you to get to know certain places really well, and as an astrophysics major, the Biomedical and Physical Sciences building is one such place. Behind the building is a small garden that’s “hidden” if you don’t know where to look. I love the little space because it is beautiful in all seasons and has benches that are covered and allow for some privacy, even outside. It’s a comfortable area that feels personal since not everyone knows it exists.

4. “Hidden” Study Spots

Going off of the “hidden” places theme, there are little spots around campus that I’ve found and claimed as my own. In such a big campus, there are plenty of nooks and crannies to discover. I think most people have their own little hidden, special places around campus that feel personal to them. I have a couple specific favorites, including the fourth floor of the main library. I don’t like studying in complete silence, so the library has never been my go-to place. However, there are spaces throughout the library – specifically on higher floors – that are marked as collaborative study areas. Not only are these places more conducive to talking, but they are also largely unknown. It allows introverts like myself the perfect happy medium between quiet, isolated spaces and loud, populated ones. When it comes to quiet spots though, there’s a little corner of Kedzie Hall that has cute chairs and tables and is perfectly positioned for people watching. Rarely do I see other people hanging around there, making it feel like my own special spot. 

5. Trees on Campus

MSU has an absolutely beautiful campus. It’s one of the things I tell people I love most about going there. As someone who grew up in a neighborhood with tons of trees and nature-y things, I love the feel of MSU’s campus. The trees are especially wonderful because of their array of colors in fall, cover from rain, and their ability to liven up an area. When the outdoor weather is nice, I like sitting in the chairs underneath or surrounded by the trees.

6. MSU River Trail

The trees line another beautiful part of campus: the River Trail. Following the Red Cedar River, MSU’s River Trail runs through quite a lot of campus, connecting the far edge of East Neighborhood to Spartan Stadium to the library and beyond. I’ve taken the trail so many times to so many different places that I can envision myself walking it just by closing my eyes. I think more than anything campus-wise, I’ll miss the simplicity of the beautiful trails and the squirrel friends that adorn their edges.

There’s a lot I will miss about MSU because it is truly an amazing place. The school is wonderful, the people I’ve met are amazing, and my experience here has been very meaningful. When I tell people about my time at MSU, there are big things I’ll mention and impactful stories that will stick out, but these little things might fall through the cracks. Ultimately though, it’s the small day-to-day stuff that has made my time here what it is, and I hope I never forget it.

Katie is a double major in Journalism and Astrophysics at Michigan State and the Senior Editor for the HCMSU chapter. She is an avid reader and loves writing, especially poetry. When she isn't writing or learning about space, she loves to listen to music and scrapbook. To see some of her recent works, visit her blog: katietswritingcorner.wordpress.com