Wellness

Single? Here’s How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day Anyway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

So it’s that time of year again. Yes, you know the one. The classic green and red of Christmas have been replaced with pink and red. The wreaths are now heart shaped boxes of chocolate. The cartoon Santas and now cartoon Cupids. Yes, ladies and gentleman, we have moved on from one Hallmark Holiday right into another. In case you’ve been too busy trying to make 2021 better than last year to notice the time flying by, we are nearing February 14, more commonly known as Valentine’s Day. 

I am a true romantic at heart. The idea of old fashioned, handwritten love- letters being sent by people who have to Google how to address an envelope, and the idea that love is everywhere are sentimentsI enjoy. I like the symbolism of red representing passion and pink standing in its place to mean youthful crushes. I love the fact that for that one day everyone goes out of their way to show they love. While some may say Valentine’s Day is nothing more than a commercial holiday designed to sell overpriced chocolate, I choose to believe that it is an opportunity to show those who matter to us just how special they are. Having said that, each year when the calendar turns to February there is a pain I feel that I know is not unique, as someone who is single during potentially the most romantic time of the year. If you aren’t currently in a relationship either, you know how February 14 can be very lonely. But fear not! Here are five ways that you can celebrate Valentine’s Day as the single queen you are.

Take yourself out on a date

As corny as it may sound, if you don’t first know how to love yourself then you can’t expect anyone else to love you either. While this is usually said to apply to self-love, body confidence, and the importance of relationship health, I think it can apply to the dates themselves as well. What is your ideal date? Is it a nice home-cooked dinner and a movie? Then pick the best ingredients and cook your favorite meal before curling under a blanket and watching a film. Do you dream of being taken out for a walk along the lake shore and then a coffee shop to warm up? Then grab your coat, go walk along the lake and stop by the best local coffee place on the way home. What you do isn’t important, but it is important to take the time to spend quality time with yourself the way you would on a date — because there will be days where you are the only person you can rely on so you should really spend time loving yourself.

Write out valentines for your friends and/or family

While the primary marketing of Valentine’s Day is to celebrate romantic love, there are lots of ways to love that have nothing to do with having a romantic partner. The Greeks actually used eight different words to express the different types of love, only one of which was specifically romantic in nature. (If you are interested in reading about all eight, this article details them really well.) So, write valentine cards for your friends and family as a way to celebrate the other types of love. This is a tradition my family has held for years. We make and send unique valentines to all of our extended family. As I’ve gotten older and taken over the tradition more and more myself, I have also included some of my closest friends, who are also my family.

So try it! Make a list of the people who mean the most to you in your life and take the time to write out a card, or just a note, and tell them how much they matter to you. Tap into your sappy side and tell them some of the reasons you value them and how your life is better with them in it. After the last year we’ve all had, who couldn’t use a letter from someone telling them that they’re valued? Who do you call when you’re upset? When you need help? When you’ve had a long day or just don’t feel comfortable in your own skin? Whose presence (either physically or virtually) makes you feel loved? If that brought up a name for you, send that person a valentine to celebrate this month of love.

Pick up an extra shift

Whether you work in a restaurant or a grocery store, odds are that a lot of your co-workers are itching to get the night off of work to celebrate with their significant others. If that isn’t you, offer to help your co-worker out and take that shift they can’t seem to get rid of. Working can help get your mind off of the fact that you don’t have plans; it’s likely that your co-workers will be grateful for your help covering their shift and will be more likely to do the same for you in the future. Also, an extra shift means a bigger paycheck and that is never a bad thing, especially heading into taxpayer season.

Drown your sorrows in ice cream

I just had a conversation on this last weekend. Nothing in life can be too bad with ice cream in your hand. Period. Go get your favorite frozen pint and a spoon and dig in. You’ve earned it.

Take the night off

As simple as it sounds, take the night off. Take it off from work, take it off from studying, take it off from all of the things that you do that cause you stress. Put on your favorite calming playlist, light a peaceful candle and do a facemask. Paint your nails, and do some online shopping. Take the night and do the things you enjoy.

All in all, just because you aren’t in a relationship, doesn’t mean that you need to let Valentine’s Day pass without celebrating. Love is love regardless of who it’s between or what kind it is. Valentine’s Day is a celebration of all love, not just the romantic kind. That doesn’t mean it won’t be hard to see everyone’s posts about their happy relationships when you want one, or just got out of one, or are struggling to end yours. All of those situations may make this next week difficult, and that’s okay. Whether you try to make the most of it and celebrate — or close your eyes and wait for the day to be, remember to be kind to yourself. After all, self love is worth celebrating too.

Erika is a pre-med honors student in the Lyman Briggs college at MSU. With 3 majors there isn't a lot of time for much else but she loves writing whenever she can, going on spontaneous adventures, and thinks there is nothing better than late-night (early morning) conversations with your closest friends.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.