This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Shreya Bhoopathi

Major: Biology with a Neuroscience concentration

Hometown: Farmington Hills, MI

1. How did navigating the pandemic and your first semester of college strengthen you? 

I learned to be able to adapt to adverse conditions quickly. Within one night, school was shut down. I had to be able to assess the situation and determine the best course of action for my classes and the coming weeks. Since March, I have learned to be decisive and make quick decisions for the good of other people. 

2. How has this year changed you?

This year changed my view of quality time. I used to think that I would only be able to make connections in person, but through technology, I was able to build friendships I never had before. I learned the importance of checking in on family and friends whenever I can. I have become more able to adapt to a technologically driven world.

3. What is something this year has taught you that you want to take with you through the rest of college?

Be prepared for the worst possible situation and then be prepared for that plan to go out the door. Planning for a certain outcome can be incredibly beneficial during more predictable tasks, but there is no way to plan for everything. Being able to adapt quickly to unexpected situations has been beneficial to my life and I will carry it forward. 

4. What is something you want to work on that the pandemic has shed light on?

The health disparities for black Americans. The horrifying injustices were brought to light once again and demand change. In healthcare particularly, I would like to be able to help increase the number of black birthdays. This fight is not over and I will continue to push for healthcare equality.

Priyanka is studying Neuroscience with a concentration in cognitive and computational neuroscience and minoring in Women's and Gender Studies with a concentration in Health, Urban, and Public policy at Michigan State University. She is also part of the Osteopathic Medical Scholars Program and is an aspiring physician. She loves to spend time with family and friends, shop, bake and binge-watch Netflix shows!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.