Seven Helpful Tips for the SERIOUSLY Stressful End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The end of the semester can get a little bit tricky to deal with. You have three papers to write, two group projects and five finals right around the corner. Try to remain calm, and put your best foot forward. After all, Christmas is almost here!

1. Map out your schedule.

Make sure that you pencil-in time to study for all of your exams, and don’t put one off until the night before. Trust me, all-nighters are not fun. Get started early, that way you have time to best prepare yourself for all of your exams. Plan times in your calendar of when you are going to study and what you are going to study.

2. Meet with your professors.

Hopefully you have gone to office hours this semester. But, if you haven’t, this is a great time to get a little inside information on how to prepare for your exams and get a few helpful hints on your final papers and projects. Another good option, if meeting with your 500-person lecture prof is too daunting, is to meet with your TAs. They are there to help you and know exactly what it is like being in your shoes.

3. Attend review sessions, or hold your own!

Some professors will hold review sessions led by themselves or by TAs, leading up to finals week. Make sure to attend these sessions, as they are very helpful and can help you get lots answers to those questions that you can’t seem to find the answers to. If your professor doesn’t have review sessions planned, hold your own. Get a few people in your class together, and review for the exam. This can be an extremely beneficial study tactic; just make sure to stay on track.

4. Take care of yourself, seriously!

The end of the semester is a stressful time for everyone. It can be easy to just reach for the bag of chips and skip days of working out in a row. But, hold yourself accountable. Snack on trail mix, fruits and granola bars while you are studying and make sure to drink lots of water. Believe it or not, you burn a lot of calories while studying. Eating healthy and working out will make you feel better and keep you alert during this seriously stressful time.

5. Catch some Zzz’s.

This is a big one; so many people put off sleep until after exams are all over. I never understood why it was such a feat to consistently pull all-nighters and write four papers in one night. Study hard during the day, but make sure to get to bed at a decent time. Get rest; your body will thank you later, and you will be more alert during your exams. Also, sleep isn’t considered laying in bed, watching Netflix and texting, three hours after you “went to bed”.

6. When in doubt, prioritize.

If you have doubts about your ability to get everything done, don’t be afraid to put things to the side and direct your attention to what will need the most of your time. If you have been struggling in a class, make sure you spend a lot of time preparing for the final. Likewise, if there is a class that you have been doing well in and you feel confident in your ability to perform on the final, then don’t be afraid to push it to the side until your more important things get done.

7. Study smarter, not harder.

Just because you were at the library for eight hours doesn’t mean that you maximized your time. If you are studying while texting, with Facebook open and talking with your best friend, was that eight hours really worth your while? Stick with study tactics that work best for you. Those may not include long, stressful trips to the lib. Study in an environment which best suits your needs. Make studying enjoyable. Yes, that can be possible!

My name is Shelby, I am an Advertising major pursuing minors in both PR and Graphic Design. I love being around people and experiencing new cultures, ideas, and beliefs. Some of my best memories here at MSU are spent with my best friends. My all time favorite quote is Maya Angelou's "I've learned people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian