timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Seasonal Depression and How to Combat It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the leaves start to fall, and the temperature starts to drop, all of us are probably experiencing similar feelings of sadness and loneliness. It is finally that time of year where we can no longer wear our shorts and tanks, but we have to always stay bundled up in sweaters and blankets. It is that time of year where getting out of bed because a hassle because you know the second you take that blanket off you’re going to be hit with that burst of coldness. It is that time of year where even taking a shower is hard because the second you turn the water off, you get super cold.

All of these things usually cause us to feel sad, lonely, and tired. These are all symptoms of seasonal depression, and this is something that affects all of us. It is natural to feel like this, as everything around you is, quite literally, dying. While all these things are true, there are quite a few ways to get around seasonal depression and up your mood. 

First, you have to remember that winter means holiday season! This means that many fun breaks and holidays are coming up, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year’s. Who doesn’t love the holidays? Turn on your favorite Christmas music and make yourself a cup of hot chocolate— this will surely bring up your mood. 

Thanksgiving is coming up and who doesn’t like shopping? This year, take advantage of Black Friday and don’t stop there! Remember there is also Cyber Monday and so many other sales during this season. Treat yourself to some new clothes, shoes, gadgets, you name it! Your bank account might not be pleased, but I’m sure this will bring a smile to your face!

If all this doesn’t cheer you up, remember that you are going to get days off from school or work during this time! Take yourself on vacation and get away from this nasty weather. Go somewhere warm, refuel, and come back ready to combat the rest of winter. 

Seasonal depression affects us all at quite different intensities, but it is usually easy to get around and overcome. Remember, winter doesn’t last all year and it will pass. Make the most of it, enjoy the holidays, take some pretty pictures in the snow, and take this time to really appreciate warmth and your home.

If you are truly struggling and not able to get rid of this condition, please contact a doctor because it might be more than just a common situation of seasonal depression.

My name is Esha Garg! I am a freshman at MSU studying nutritional sciences and am on a pre-medical field. In my free time, I love writing, doing yoga, and playing tennis.
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.