Science Fiction is the Genre to Keep Our Eyes On in 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Science Fiction is relatively new as far as genres go, having been published throughout the 1800’s but not officially established until the 1920’s. But since its inception it has ballooned into one of the most important types of media in our world. The reasoning is simple: it’s multi-faceted, it’s entertaining, and it’s constantly evolving. 

If you need a crash-course on the genre, check out this video from PBS Voices. But I’ll break it down for you: science fiction is futuristic speculation. It’s either looking forwards or backwards from a technologically advanced point-of-view. That’s not to say all sci-fi absolutely involves technology, but usually there is a technical element that sets up a critique of the past, present, or future. 

Some conventions of the genre include robotics, A.I., space travel, time travel, alien life forms, medical advancements, and weaponry. And that’s hardly an exhaustive list, there are dozens of conventions and sub-conventions that play a part in the genre (and sub-genres). One of the best things about sci-fi is that it’s multifaceted, melding with other genres while also creating dozens of unique off-shoots. One of the most powerful additions to the sci-fi genre is Afrofuturism, a sub-genre coined in the early 1990’s. Afrofuturism examines the evolution and aesthetic of the African Diaspora through a futuristic lens, pushing back against white male gatekeepers of the sci-fi genre. 

While the central theme in the science fiction genre is the convention of analyzing the current world or the human condition through the futuristic lens, that doesn’t mean that the genre isn’t entertaining. The genre is successful because it makes commentary in a visually appealing way, no matter the medium. Star Wars, which has entertained audiences for decades, has deep themes of dystopia and political struggle, punctuated by explosions and lovable characters making sarcastic commentary about the events that have befallen them. Similarly, Star Trek takes a stance on racism and international relations while pulling audiences in for adventure, romance, and some more explosions. 

The final reason science fiction is a powerful genre is that it is constantly evolving to meet the times. Science fiction has always been more productive during times of socio-political upheaval in the world because it uses the forced perspective shift of the future to analyze the present world. Sci-fi also plays on the fears brought about by our current situations: fears of losing autonomy, being lost in an infinite void, being crushed by something out of our control. These fears are all rooted in the human condition and inspired by very real threats to our safety and sanity. The COVID-19 pandemic has made way for renewed interest in the contagion horror genre, which is bleeding over into science fiction. Slated for April of 2021 is The End Of Men by Christina Sweeney-Baird, promised to be a thrilling sci-fi contagion story. 

In addition to pandemic sci-fi, the upheaval in the current world is inspiring other creations in the genre. According to the New York Times, afrofuturism is booming in comics this month with several high-profile releases. October 2021 will bring us a screen adaptation of Dune by Frank Herbert, which is a sci-fi/high fantasy cross that assesses politics, governments, and privilege. Other upcoming contributions to the genre include the conventions of medical adaptation, meteor-hitting-the-Earth, astronauts lost in space, and space dystopia. Because of the flexible, entertaining, and ever-evolving nature of the genre, there’s guaranteed to be something for everyone in the coming months and years of content creation.

Hi! My name is C, I'm originally from Oregon and came to MSU to pursue my passions: fencing, gymnastics, theater, and writing. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm an avid fanfiction author/reader and also write plays and novels. When not on the fencing strip with the MSU Fencing team, I'm nose-deep in a good book or painting some wild art. Follow me on instagram @c.rosewidmann to see pictures of my furbabies.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.