This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Sarah Rabine

Major: Psychology

Minor: Cognitive Science 

Hometown: Casco, Michigan

You spent your freshman year with an undecided major. What did that experience teach you?

I learned that college is a time to learn and grow, so I think it’s important to try different areas. It can be scary not having a set direction, but it’s definitely worth it. 

What drew you to the psychology major?

I’m really interested in human behavior— is that creepy? [Laughs] No but really, I want to help people. I want to be a therapist someday, especially for people with eating disorders. 

Are you involved in any research groups on campus?

Yes! I’m involved with the Peer Body Project. It’s a group that discusses female beauty standards in order to combat negative body image on campus. All the women take turns discussing their own experiences with beauty standards. It’s really interesting and kind of inspiring to connect with other MSU women. 

I’m also excited to start some research positions this spring. 

Do you have any tentative post-college plans?

I’m planning on taking a gap year to travel. Then I’ll go to grad school.

Ooh, traveling sounds fun! What’s the first place you want to go?

I want to do a cross-country trip of Canada in a van. With my cat.

I know you’re a cat lover. Would you recommend owning a cat for other college students?

I would only recommend it for people who are in a comfortable and responsible place in their lives. It can be a challenge at times, but it’s very rewarding. Taking care of a pet can help lower stress in my experience. Especially if your cat is as cuddly as mine. [Laughs]  

Do you have any advice for freshmen entering MSU next year?

Be yourself. I know a lot of people say that, but it’s really important. Now is the time to really put yourself out there. 

Finally, what is your favorite thing about MSU?

Hmm… Probably all the nature around campus. I love riding my bike on the river trail, getting to see all the trees and squirrels and stuff. It’s very refreshing for me!

Hannah is studying English Creative Writing at Michigan State University. She is passionate about art, poetry, good food, and working toward a sustainabile future.
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.