Review of Taylor Swift’s “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT”

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

On April 19, Taylor Swift released her 11th studio album titled “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT” and it quickly rose to the top of the charts. Then, two hours later, she released 15 more songs while announcing the double album, “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY.” With 31 total songs, it was quite a task to listen to all of them in one weekend; however, here are my thoughts and feelings about the album after my first few listens.

I want to start off by saying that I may be biased because I am a huge “Swiftie,” but I believe that this is one of Swift’s best records yet. In this pop album she uses her stellar songwriting abilities to take the audience into her head over the past two years. She describes her experiences with love, loss, breakups, and celebrity life in amazing, and sometimes completely unhinged, detail. 

Along with long-time collaborator Jack Antonoff, Swift uses synth-pop production throughout many of the songs in the first half of the album, specifically seen in songs like “My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys” and  “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart.”  These songs combine heartbreaking lyrics with extremely danceable beats, and I think that is perfect for this album.

Swift also collaborated with Aaron Dessner, who is known for his work on Swift’s previous albums “folklore” and “evermore.” It was evident on the first listen that Dessner was a collaborator on the more stripped-down songs on the album, which are almost exclusively on the second half of the double album, “THE ANTHOLOGY.”  Songs like “The Prophecy” and “The Manuscript” are becoming  quick favorites of mine, as they highlight Swift’s powerful lyricism and storytelling.

There are also two duets on this album; the first track “Fortnight” featuring Post Malone and the eighth track “Florida!!!” featuring Florence and the Machine. “Florida!!!” was my favorite song on the first listen, as I love the production and beat just as much as I love Florence Welch’s vocals on the second verse of the song. Swift and Welch’s tones match so well together, and this song is definitely going to be a hit with fans.

One of the reasons that I love this album so much is because it feels like a combination of Swift’s pop work – “reputation” is my favorite album – and her alternative work in “folklore” and “evermore.” Certain songs on this album allow me to appreciate her vocals and production skills, my favorite being “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?,” and others simply allow me to listen to the lyrics and what she is trying to say, like ”loml.” Because of this, I believe that any person can find a song to appreciate and love on this album, and that is why it is a masterpiece. 

To listen to “THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT,” visit here.

Peyton Skiver is a writer, editor, and E-board member of Her Campus at Michigan State University. She writes articles to be published on the Her Campus site and designs content for the HCMSU social media pages. Skiver is a second year student at MSU studying journalism with a minor in sports journalism. Outside of class, she is a reporter for the Spartan Sports Report and a member of the Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). Skiver has a passion for photography, writing, and media design. In her free time, she loves to read, listen to music, and binge watch new TV shows.