This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Sometimes holding onto a long book can make reading not so fun. Instead of spoiling a long, beautiful story, try opting out for smaller reads that’ll leave you just as satisfied.

Bliss Montage

Ling Ma’s collection of stories of different people’s far out perceptions of daily life is nothing short of memorable. Each story reads different from the rest with feelings and experiences unique to each character. Are they living a lie? Are they in delusion? Or is that bliss?

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

Iconic short story author of the 1980s Raymond Carver compiles a beautiful collection of stories about what love means and how it is born between the energy and exchange of people in life.

People From My Neighborhood

Hiromi Kawakami paints humanity in different shades through a connected collection of stories about people living in the same community with entirely different lives. Just when you think everyone in your town is the same, refresh your mind with the experiences and expressions in these stories.

How High? That High

Diane Williams delivers an immaculate connection between the emotions we feel and how we perceive our experiences in bold and concise stories. Writings showcasing the mundaneness of everyday life is exactly what makes life extraordinary.

One story or ten, collections of short stories can give you the daily dose of reading and imagination that you need.

Madeline Allen is an undergraduate student studying Media and Information at Michigan State University. Madeline is a staff writer and the Design Lead for HCMSU.