Reacting to and Analyzing My 2023 Spotify Wrapped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

At the end of each long year, music lovers and Spotify subscribers gather around excitedly awaiting their Spotify wrapped for that year to be released. Eager to find out who their top artist of the year was, to see what songs they listened to most often, and to hit play on their 2023 wrapped playlist, which is specifically designed based on their most played tunes from that year. I have always enjoyed seeing not only what my wrapped looks like for that year, but am simultaneously intrigued about what the people around me listened to that year. So, in honor of all of this, I’m going to unpack my 2023 Spotify wrapped for you all:

Genre Breakdown

The wrapped this year opens up with a “sandwich” stacked with your most listened to genres of the year. For me, pop was most frequent, followed by contemporary country, rap, modern country pop, and lastly, Alt z. This genre breakdown seemed pretty consistent in alliance with my listening patterns and nothing really shocked me here. I find this to be a great introduction for the spotify wrapped because it’s a brief summary of all the information you’re about to unfold. 

A Place that Listened Just Like Me

This category honestly didn’t make sense to me. I was given “College Station, USA” as a place that listens just like me. It states that people there also listen to Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen, and Megan Moroney. I have seen some odd location pairings from people posting about their spotify wrapped. I didn’t really understand the concept of this category, but I believe Spotify’s goal with this was to attempt to find another way to connect people through music, to show that there are people in the world who have a similar interest in music like yourself.  

Top Song of the Year

First off, Spotify opens this category saying I had listened to 1,710 songs in 2023. Although this number is decently high, I honestly felt like it wasn’t high enough. I play such a diverse amount of playlists and radios that I feel like I have listened to a plethora of music that wasn’t included within this total. Continuing on, my top song of the year was, “Hope That’s True” by Morgan Wallen. Which honestly makes sense. This song was released in March, and it stuck with me pretty much immediately after I listened to it. When I relate to a song more, I definitely have more of an appeal to it. My top songs followed in suit with the theme of country and heartbreak; and they also had a great bridge.

Time Breakdown

I was told that I listened for 24,581 minutes. Which I honestly also think is significantly lower than I imagined. There isn’t a time where I don’t have music on. I think that I need to start using Spotify as my only channel of music because sometimes I will use YouTube music or Amazon music, whatever is more convenient at the time. 

Top Artist of the Year

Spotify said that I listened to 598 artists this year which I feel super proud of because it shows that I really expanded my taste away from just my favorites, and I gave some new artists a try. My official top artist of 2023 was Morgan Wallen. This was somewhat of a surprise to me only because my top artist for the past several years had been Taylor Swift. However, I think that because I saw Morgan Wallen in concert this year, it led me to tune in to his songs a bit more. My entire top five artists in the order that they were most listened to were Morgan Wallen, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Megan Moroney, and lastly, Olivia Rodrigo. This breakdown feels very accurate, and also pretty diverse.

Spotify concluded the wrapped this year by having your top 10 artists send in a video thanking you for listening and streaming their music this year. I think this was super special and I loved getting to watch the artist I listen to most send a little thank you video clip in. I am always so excited to see what my wrapped gives me for the year. It’s so unique and exciting for a brand to do this for their customers. I think it adds even more appeal to Spotify. I hope you enjoyed my 2023 Spotify Wrapped breakdown, and if you haven’t yet, go take a peek at yours!

Mya is currently a 19 year old sophomore at MSU majoring in Communication. She loves to read, write, and listen to music. She aspires to one day become a publicist for a major music company. She is just beginning her first year with HerCampus and is super eager to be involved in the chapter. Mya's particular writing interest involve writing a lot about current media, music, and and important issues going on within society. She specifically loves to talk about anything Taylor Swift related, so that tends to be a common theme in her work. To follow Mya on social media you can follow her instagram @mya.barr