girl posing with books
girl posing with books
Rayna Skiver
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Rayna Hailey Skiver

Major: Journalism

Minors: Environment, Science, and Health Reporting and Health Promotions

Hometown: Manton, MI 

How did you choose your major and what do you like about it? My major is journalism, but I could possibly be changing to kinesiology because I have a strong interest in health-related topics. I chose my major because I like writing and I was like “What else involves writing stuff?” I didn’t think about it for very long, so that’s the only answer I came up with. I don’t like much about it, but I do occasionally like how satisfying it is when you get good quotes and the article turns out really well, and it wasn’t stressful.

What has been your favorite class at MSU so far?  My favorite class at MSU has been HNF 150 with Professor Alaimo. World of Turf is a close second though. HNF 150 is a class where you learn about human nutrition and what your body needs to be healthy. It was my favorite class because I learned a lot of helpful information that I actually used to apply to my everyday life. It was good information since I was vegetarian and wanted to go vegan, so it made me well informed. 

What did you find to be the hardest part of being at MSU? The hardest part about being at MSU is staying motivated to do work.

What was the last show or movie you watched and did you like it? The last movie I watched was Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 and yeah, I loved it. It’s iconic.

What slang or trend makes you feel old? Today I had to google what a “simp” is because I was watching a TikTok and I had no idea what that meant. That made me feel old because I didn’t get what the video was saying and I felt like my mom whenever I show her memes and she says “Who’s that?”

What advice would you give to incoming MSU freshmen? I would tell incoming freshmen to do a lot of research on the current major or any major that they’re interested in so that they can figure out as soon as possible if it’s the right career path for them.  

Emily is a junior and majoring in English at Michigan State University.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.