This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Taylor Swift is one of the most well-known musicians and songwriters of our generation. With 10 original studio albums to listen to, fans like me have very different opinions on what album should be ranked number one. Here is my personal ranking of Taylor Swift’s albums (using the “Taylor’s Version” versions of course).

10. “Taylor Swift”

Swift’s self-titled debut album is reminiscent of summer days outside and high school heartbreaks. Songs such as “Picture to Burn” and “Our Song” are staples in the world of country music, and of my childhood. However, because it is Swift’s first album, it lacks the maturity and growth seen in her newer works, which makes sense because Swift was only 16 when she released it. Even with the wonderful nostalgia that surrounds this album, I had to put it in tenth place.

9. “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” 

Similar to her debut album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” still lacks the strong lyrics and production seen in her later work. However, I have to give credit where it’s due and highlight the fact that “Love Story” and “You Belong With Me” from the original album truly kickstarted Swift’s career and are some of her most popular songs, for good reason. The songs from “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” are ones that almost everyone can relate to in one way or another, making it a solid album from start to finish. 

8. “Red (Taylor’s Version)”

Putting “Red (Taylor’s Version)” low on my list might be my first very controversial take. I am a big “Swiftie,” so I love her entire discography; however, “Red (Taylor’s Version)” simply is not one of my favorites. Although the masterpiece that is “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” is on this album, I think there are too many skips for me to rank it high. Songs like “Stay, Stay, Stay (Taylor’s Version)” and “Girl at Home (Taylor’s Version)” are fun bops sometimes, but I tend to prefer listening to songs with more lyrical strength. 

7. “Lover” 

This is the point in my ranking where honestly every album could be number one. “Lover” is a beautifully written and produced pop album, highlighting love in all the forms it can take on. This album has some of my favorite songs ever, like “Cruel Summer” and “Cornelia Street.” However, it also has some of my least favorite songs like “I Forgot That You Existed” and “It’s Nice to Have a Friend,” which is why I had to rank it on the low end of the list.

6. “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)”

It hurts me to put “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” at the sixth spot, but my top five are pretty locked in and I refuse to change them now. “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” is an album that has grown on me throughout the years, and I absolutely loved the “Vault Tracks” that were included in the re-release. With some of Swift’s most heart- wrenching songs like “Dear John (Taylor’s Version)” and “Last Kiss (Taylor’s Version)” along with some of her most romantic pieces like “Enchanted (Taylor’s Version)” and “Sparks Fly (Taylor’s Version),” this album is a lyrical and emotional rollercoaster in the best possible way. 

5. “Midnights”

“Midnights” is, in my opinion, one of Swift’s best- produced albums. It was a return to pop after her alternative/folk albums “folklore” and “evermore,” and included songs that were extremely different from anything we saw in her discography before. The album includes unique production techniques and a mix of pop and alternative music while also showcasing Swift’s impeccable storytelling abilities, as seen in songs like “Maroon” and “Midnight Rain.”  Because of my love for Swift’s new work, I had to put “Midnights” in my top five.

4. “evermore”

This album has often been overshadowed by “folklore,” as it was released only a few months later and is considered its sister album. However, “evermore” is a beautifully written piece of art that is musically and thematically cohesive. “champagne problems” and “tolerate it” are two of my favorite songs from this album, perfectly encapsulating heartbreaking relationships. The wonderful cottage core vibes of this album are is the reason “evermore” is locked in at number four on my list.

3. “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”

Since its original release in 2014 and then its re-release in 2023, “1989” has always been one of my favorite albums. New York City is one of the greatest cities on the planet, and this album has the same vibe of being in NYC with your friends for a night out. With extremely catchy songs like “Blank Space” and “Shake It Off” as well as the beautiful lesser-known songs like “This Love” and “I Know Places,” “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is one of Swift’s most iconic pieces of work, and deserves a place in my top three.

2. “folklore”

My top two albums have become interchangeable, and I can never choose which one I love the most; however, I had to rank them somehow. “folklore” is arguably Swift’s best- written album of all time. The album takes the listener into the magical world of Swift’s imagination, and feels as though a story is being told in every single song. The second track, “cardigan,” is one of my favorite songs ever, and this album simply has no skips on it. 

1. “reputation”

Swift is known for having a specific “era” with every album she releases. “reputation” is undoubtedly her most iconic and impactful era, as it completely changed the trajectory of her career. Not only was the era iconic, but the album itself is filled with insane vocals and stellar production that literally makes every song near perfection (“Don’t Blame Me” is my favorite song ever). “reputation” has been my favorite album since its release, and I am super excited for the re-release. 

Although I just ranked every one of Taylor Swift’s albums, I do love them all in their own way. I hope this either inspires you to go and take a listen to some of my favorite songs, or maybe rank the albums yourself; it’s a lot of fun.

Peyton Skiver is a writer, editor, and E-board member of Her Campus at Michigan State University. She writes articles to be published on the Her Campus site and designs content for the HCMSU social media pages. Skiver is a second year student at MSU studying journalism with a minor in sports journalism. Outside of class, she is a reporter for the Spartan Sports Report and a member of the Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). Skiver has a passion for photography, writing, and media design. In her free time, she loves to read, listen to music, and binge watch new TV shows.