This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Editor’s Note: In a nearly unanimous vote, Rachel was honored Her Campus at MSU’s Staffer of the Semester for fall semester 2016. This interview is meant to both recognize and celebrate Rachel for all of her hard work this semester. On behalf of myself and HC MSU, thank you for your commitment to our chapter, Rachel. Between your “down for anything” attitude and love for our staff, you have been a great addition to our team.

Name: Rachel Brauer

Year: Junior

Major: Arts and Humanities (RCAH)

Hometown: Howell, Michigan

How long have you been a member of Her Campus at MSU? I’ve been a member of Her Campus since my second semester freshman year.

What made you decide to join HC MSU? I actually had a good friend that was in HC MSU at the time who suggested that I join.

What is your favorite part about being a member of HC MSU? I love so many things about this organization. I think my favorite is the freedom that I’m given to write whatever has been weighing on my mind. I have written for other media platforms in the past, but the topics I’ve been allowed to explore were very limited and censored. I’ve also grown a lot professionally, especially with my E-Board position. I’ve never been a particularly organized person, but through my time at HC MSU I’ve seen the importance of deadlines and clear communication. Her Campus has also become like a family to me. I love the girls on our team a lot and it’s fun getting to know everyone.

What are some of your favorite articles that you wrote this semester? As sappy as this sounds, probably the one I wrote in honor of my dad’s fiance that passed earlier in the semester. I miss her more than words could ever describe. Writing that article was not only a good outlet to channel my grief in, but it also helped me to honor her life and our relationship. Even if our time together was too short, I’m glad that I pushed myself to write it and show the world the kind of human she was.  

What is involved in the process of writing an article? I feel like every author’s process is unique to their craft. Personally, mine is, for lack of better words, fairly explosive and random. There is no structure whatsoever. I can never force myself to sit and write an article — which is the most frustrating aspect to me. The words and ideas come when they want, so my drafts usually look like a jumble of mismatched words and incomplete sentences.

Usually reading poetry or looking at Pinterest helps to speed up the process. I have been experimenting a lot with my writing style and have been leaning towards a combination of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Marianna Paige. So sometimes I like to reread some of their work before I write.

What are some of your biggest accomplishments as an HC MSU member this semester? One of the goals that I set for myself at the beginning of the semester was to try to bring everyone closer together. I’m not exactly sure if I accomplished it, but I personally feel closer to everyone.

How did you feel when you were honored HC MSU Staffer of the Semester? Honestly, I was a little taken back. I didn’t really expect it.

In your opinion, what made you a good candidate for Staffer of the Semester? I feel like every staff member was a good candidate. There was a lot of good content composed this semester. I just tried my best to be as involved as possible and to advertise HC MSU to my friends more.  

What are you most looking forward to with HC MSU next semester? To get our newsletter set up! I’m also excited to spend more time with everyone and to see some of the stories people come up with.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian