This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

This past year I saw a post on Instagram that said “being pro-choice does not mean you are pro-abortion”, and ever since that day I haven’t been able to remove that thought from my mind. Often times, the idea of being pro-choice is misinterpreted as anyone who agrees with abortion, and that is simply not the case. There are women all over the country who do not morally believe in abortion for their own bodies, but that is not to say they don’t believe that other women don’t deserve that choice.

At the end of the day, those who support the pro-choice movement believe that women should be allowed to make whatever choices they want to about their own bodies. No one should be able to take a woman’s choice away from her. Women should be allowed to do what is best for them despite the opinions of others. As a population, it is important that we understand the distinct difference between being pro-choice and being pro-abortion. 

Women just want to live in a country where men are not allowed to make laws about their bodies. As a woman, it’s infuriating to know that men all over the country are making legislation that governs what women can do with their bodies. Please name one law, or piece of legislation, that tells a man what he can do with his body? At the end of the day, no one should be told what they can or cannot do with their body. How can you sit and tell a woman what is best for her? How can you tell her that she needs to make a decision based on your beliefs and not hers? It makes absolutely no sense that we live in a country where this is an issue. 

This problem is very stigmatized in our country, and because of that people form false conclusions of others based on their opinions. Again, it is possible for someone to support the pro-choice movement but not be pro-abortion. The two are not equivalent. They are entirely separate entities and should be treated as such. Women deserve to have reproductive justice in this country and that is just a fact. Women deserve to be able to make the best decisions for themselves, not because the government tells them a decision is right or wrong. 

Hello my name is Ashley White. I am going to be a senior at Michigan State University this fall. I am majoring in physiology on the pre-med tract. My current goal is to attend medical school and become a neonatal surgeon. I love Grey's Anatomy. I am absolutely addicted to TikTok and I feel like sometimes I have meaningful stuff to say :)
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.