Culture > News

President Samuel Stanley Jr. Resigns From Michigan State University, Citing Loss of Confidence in Board of Trustees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In the late morning hours of October 13, 2022, President Samuel Stanley gave his 90-day resignation notice from Michigan State University. This follows a Title IX controversy that was mentioned in mid-September 2022, where it was reported that the Board of Trustees at Michigan State University had asked Stanley to resign, calling it a “retirement offer.” In a statement from Stanley last month, he stated that he stood by his decisions and actions to enforce a mandatory resignation of the College of Business Dean, Sanjay Gupta. 

At a social event following a College of Business convention in April 2022, a College of Business professional inappropriately touched a student attendee. Gupta was made aware of this incident and failed to report it to the Board of Trustees in a timely manner, mishandling the accusations and violating Title IX. When Stanley finally became aware of the incident and Gupta’s lack of action, both Provost Teresa Woodruff and Stanly enforced a mandatory resignation for Gupta in August 2022. With many Board of Trustee members having a history of business relations themselves, tying them to the College of Business and Gupta, they launched an external investigation into Stanley, framing the narrative to reflect negatively on him and accusing him of mishandling Title IX complaints.

Stanley is unable to certify the Title IX complaints that are alleged to be mishandled due to failure of the Board of Trustees to comply with proper Title IX protocol. The Board of Trustees members are required to read and review Title IX complaints before handing them off to Stanley to be signed and certified. However, members of the Board are refusing to read and review Title IX complaints, resulting in Stanley’s inability to certify them. Despite their own lack of action being the cause, the Board has accused Stanley of mishandling and failing to certify Title IX complaints. 

In a video message sent out to students, staff, and faculty, Stanley stated that he has “lost confidence in the actions of the current Board of Trustees and [he] cannot, in good conscience, continue to serve this board as constituted.” Accompanying Stanley in losing confidence in the Board of Trustees is the Michigan State Faculty Senate and the Associated Students of MSU. The MSU Faculty Senate approved a 55-4 vote of no confidence in the Board of Trustees on Tuesday and the Associated Students of MSU also approved a 21-0 vote of no confidence in the Board of Trustees on October 6. The MSU Faculty Senate repeatedly demanded that the Board of Trustees stop interfering in the Gupta case, and repeatedly advised them to not impose any threat of or an ultimatum for termination of Stanley. Despite the advice of the Faculty Senate, the Board of Trustees proceeded to do both of those things. Stanley is the fourth president Michigan State University has had in the last four years.

The Board of Trustees is accused of abusing their power at the University for personal and political vendettas, as well as overstepping boundaries as a Board. The Michigan State University Board of Trustees is elected statewide in Michigan. Renee Knake Jefferson (Democrat) is up for reelection this year in November, with her term ending on January 1, 2023. Melanie Foster (Republican) is also up for reelection in November, with her term ending on January 1, 2023. Neither Jefferson nor Foster has reportedly been against the removal of Stanley as President. Election Day in Michigan is Tuesday, November 8, 2022. In Michigan, individuals are able to register to vote online by October 24 or in person at your local election office by 8pm on November 8. Do your research on the candidates for the eligible MSU Board of Trustees positions and vote!

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.