This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Carnivorous plants have long been important to a balanced ecosystem. They have fascinated horticulturists and scientists for decades with their intricate ability to lure and capture prey. 

Many carnivorous plants evolve in nutrient-poor soil environments that have a lot of sunshine and water, like peats and bogs. Due to the overwhelming lack of nitrogen in the soil around them, these plants get their required nitrogen fixes through tiny insects. With over 600 known species of carnivorous plants, there are thousands of ways these predators capture their prey. Let’s look at three of these plants, and how they entice their victims into coming close.

Venus Flytrap

Undoubtedly the poster child of carnivorous plants, Venus flytraps are native to the wetlands of the southeastern United States. They grow in soil that is slightly acidic and nutrient-poor, and supplement their diet with insects and arachnids. These plants use snap traps to capture their prey. In essence, they use rapid leaf movements to actively ensnare insects which it then digests with an intense cocktail of enzymes. These plants are also very popular as exotic “pets” and are notoriously difficult to care for, compared to other house plants.

Pitcher Plant

As the name suggests, these plants look like pitchers with top “lids” that open and close . They’re found in a wide range of environments, from pine barrens to coastal swamps, and rely on insects and slightly larger animals for nutrition. A few pitcher plant species also evolved to get their nutrition for animal feces, and to top it off, these pitcher plants look like toilet seats!

Australian Sundew

This plant is found in largely tropical and temperate regions, especially in Australia. These plants have white and pinkish flowers, and have upper basal leaves covered in flexible glands that exude a sticky substance. Masquerading as dew drops, these plants attract insects who are thirsty, and trap them using sticky enzymes. Trapped prey is engulfed by these glands (popularly known as “tentacles”). Once the insect has been digested, the leaves unfurl and reset the trap.

While the world of carnivorous plants is undeniably fascinating, it is essential to observe and appreciate them from a safe distance. So no matter how tempting it is, please don’t stick your hand in one to see what happens. Let’s leave the intrigue to the plant and its prey. 

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.