13 going on 30 closet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
13 going on 30 closet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios
Style > Fashion

Pieces you Need in your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We all have those certain pieces that we always gravitate towards even though we have a million other things just sitting in our closets. Lately, I’ve been trying to branch out and trying trends and clothing that I normally wouldn’t lean towards. I have to say, I am so glad I did and from now on will always be trying something new. Here are some of my favorite pieces that can be styled in multiple ways.

1. Bootcut Leggings/Yoga Pants

I think Euphoria and especially Maddy’s style in the show made bootcut leggings take off. I was hesitant to give them a shot, especially because I am on the shorter end. However, once you find a properly fitting pair you will never go back! It flatters everyone and makes you look toned and taller. Plus, they are super cute and can be styled in so many ways! 

1. Flannels & plaid Jackets

Ah, this is such a classic! My love for flannels and plaid will never go away, you just can’t go wrong! I am guilty of wearing plaid during all seasons and I love it. You can use it as a cover-up or styled as a tie-up or on top of a tank. It looks amazing with bootcut pants, trust me ;) 

1. A white collared t-shirt

I don’t know why I didn’t get into this earlier, so this is your sign to get one asap! This is by far the most versatile piece and it is so flattering. It can be used as a cover-up, dressed informally with blue jeans, under a sweater vest, or with a corset. Literally is a must! It has so many uses and can be dressed up or down.

1. Sweater vests

So glad this trend came about because I love it! There are such fun patterns and options, both tight-fitting and loose. You can wear them with or without an undershirt and with literally any type of pants! Highly recommend getting a checkered sweater vest, they are by far my favorite designs!

1. Bootcut dress pants & belted dress pants (that can be tied)

I recently got these and absolutely love them. They are perfect for an event, night out, or they even can be worn for professional purposes. Plus, they look beautiful with heels! Definitely worth investing!

1. Workout sets

You don’t even have to be athletic to rock these. They are so basic and comfortable that you cannot go wrong. If you need a little more cover-up, you can always just top it off with a little zip-up or windbreaker! Cute matching workout sets always make me more motivated to remain active and even go to the gym.

1. Track Suits/ Jogger sets

If you ever don’t know what to wear for a casual day or to classes, these are the first things I reach out for. You can look cute and comfortable at the same time. Remember sweats can always be dressed up with a simple tank or zip-up! Plus, they keep you warm! So, you can walk out of your home in comfort and style.

1. Plain sweatshirts and oversized shirts

These are a must. Sweatshirts can be used in so many ways, whether that be over a collared t-shirt or on top of some jeans. I find them more comfortable and less bulky than hoodies, especially on warmer days. Oversized shirts are my new favorite lazy day fits. They go perfectly with all types of leggings and even with jeans! You can rock some street-wear fashion with these, especially if you pair it with a similar colored undershirt!

1. Teddy or fur sweater/coat

I love these! Literally so comfortable and cute. If you’re sick of wearing your plain old winter coat, these spice up your outfits and make you extra snuggly. These will make you look EXPENSIVE and put together. 

10. Windbreakers & quarter-zips

These don’t need much explanation. They’re cute, simple, and easy to wear. Quarter-zips are very comfy too, it’s a bonus if it’s your school’s merch! These are my favorite to wear to class or with my gym fits/athletic wear. 

Remember, style can be anything you envision and create. It’s about confidence and comfort. You will rock anything you wear! 

Bhavya is the Head Director of Social Media for MSU's chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in Microbiology with a minor in Environment and Health/Bioethics. Her writing interests include: lifestyle, beauty, health, and wellness.