People are Watching TikTok Unironically, but I Get it Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Okay, so remember how I wrote that article hating on TikTok? I get it now. At first, I thought the videos were so stupid. It was a bunch of teenagers making pointless dance videos. After a while, I found a couple that I liked, and eventually, the app started catering my feed to videos that fit my sense of humor. 

I’ll sit for hours on my phone scrolling through all the videos people are posting. I’m not saying all of them are funny, but there are definitely some good ones. Personally, I like the ones poking fun at my culture because they are so relatable to my life. Before, I’ve never really had that in a social media app. I think that is what makes this so appealing. There are more creators who look like me and think like me, whereas a couple of years ago, most people were reluctant to post stuff that could potentially be used to alienate them from mainstream humor. 

TikTok took some getting used to, but luckily I am a pro at procrastinating, so I made plenty of time by avoiding studying. All the time I’ve spent on the app has shown me how much the internet affects our lives. Every joke our generation has comes from apps like this. People are giving out skincare advice and sharing their morning routines. Some creators even have brand deals and sell products like makeup. 

Good or bad, there’s no denying that social media has a strong grasp on our day to day lives.

Freshman @ MSU Class of 2023
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!