An Open Letter to STEM Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Dear STEM Majors,

We get it. Your college experience hasn’t been easy. We see your tears as you walk out of the engineering building after a tough exam. We “like” your Facebook posts about the internships you’ve landed after applying to almost 30 positions. We watch you down your sixth cup of coffee, just as the library announces that its closing for the night.

But what you sometimes forget is that we don’t just see what you’re going through – we experience these struggles too.

I write this letter because I’m tired of feeling as though I need to justify my career path. I’m tired of validating that I do, in fact, have homework, or that my exams require more than just a quick review of my notes. I’m tired of scrolling through Twitter and seeing complaints about the Arts & Humanities majors taking up seats at Starbucks that should be reserved for those pursuing “real degrees.” Or even worse, I’m tired of interacting with those who believe they have an “elitist STEM brain.”

I’m sure you’re aware that the human brain has two hemispheres. Don’t you think that if the only measure of intelligence was to have a left-dominated, logical, mathematical brain, the right side would have faded into a Neanderthalian abyss many moons ago?

The world needs all types of people, and I would encourage you to remember that. When your pharmacy develops a new drug, it need sales experts to bring it to market. When your engineering group develops a new auto part, you’ll need PR specialists to publicize it. Whether you believe it or not, a course on social media analytics is just as essential to the future of our world as Calc 4.

The next time you have to choose between studying and going out on a Friday night, know that there’s a creative major out there making the same choice. When you’re cramming for an exam you think you’ll never pass, creative majors can relate to your sense of panic.

You’re going to need us one day, just as much as we’re going to need you. Let’s support each other.

Sincerely,

A Com Major

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian