The One Thing “Ralph Breaks The Internet” Teaches Us About Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The animated film Ralph Breaks The Internet came out in 2018, but I just saw it for the first time last week. I’d noticed it a few times before when I was browsing Netflix for something to watch, but I always assumed it’d be really “kiddie.” But last week I was in the mood for something colorful if that makes sense, and surprisingly, I enjoyed it. I think it’s a good movie for a family night: both children and adults will enjoy it. Moreover, it teaches an important lesson about friendship. 

Movie Summary 

This sequel to Wreck-It Ralph is about two videogame characters: Ralph, who is a bad guy in his game, and Vanellope von Schweetz, who is a racer in her game “Sugar Rush.” When Vanellope grows bored with living a predictable life, she complains to Ralph who, in an attempt to spice things up, contributes to the ruin of her game. So, in order to save Vanellope’s game, both her and Ralph travel to the internet to find a replacement part for the game. However, having no money to pay for the replacement controller, Ralph becomes a BuzzzTube star [and makes bee puns] to raise money for his best friend’s game. However, unknown to him, Vanellope falls in love with her new surroundings—specifically, a new video game called Slaughter Race—and finds the life/thrill that she’d been looking for. When Ralph finds out via an overhead conversation that Vanellope wants to stay for a while, and doesn’t want to go home with him, he unleashes a virus into the internet to persuade Penelope to leave with him. This creates a toxic, giant monster Ralph who chases Vanellope and figuratively attempts to stifle her with his love. In the end, the monster Ralph is “destroyed” when Ralph recognizes his insecurities and makes the decision to not hold Vanellope back from her dreams. 

So, what is the lesson about friendship that Ralph Breaks The Internet teaches? The lesson is to not be a toxic, over-clingy friend that holds your friend back from their dreams [this is the part where you take a sharp intake of breath]. 

Even if your friend’s dream might seem far-fetched, likely to fail or even reckless, let them pursue it. Don’t be a hindrance to them not living their life to the fullest because you’re afraid that they’ll leave you. In fact, encourage your friends to dream and to reach for the things that at first glance appear to be unattainable. This may lead to them not always having time for you, being miles away from you, and possibly even finding other friends they like more than you, but that’s okay because true friendship lives in the heart.

Gabriella Cohen is a senior at Michigan State University. She is studying Political Science and Criminal Justice. She aspires to be a published author. In her free time, she enjoys singing, reading, writing and spending time with her friends.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.