One Swipe Right Could Lead You to Your Tinderella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Breakthroughs in technology have caused a rise in interpersonal communication predominantly occurring through some form of media. It’s understandable that an increasing number of relationships are formed online. A common app used across campuses, Tinder, has gained popularity amongst college students.

Whether you’re about that Tinder life or it’s an app you would never even consider downloading, there are some aww-worthy fairy tales and happily never after endings to tell. After interviewing four MSU students, I’ve compiled their experiences with the app.

With their one year anniversary coming up in April, this couple reminisces their Tinder experiences before matching with each other:

What’s the weirdest / worst Tinder experience you’ve ever had?

Justin: “I matched with ‘a fellow musician’ on Tinder, who was a little too into me. After a month or so of talking, we met, and she was very aggressive and kind of a b***h. Then, after our date, I didn’t contact her, but she would still send me messages about how much she enjoyed me.”

Amanda: “This one night, I matched with a guy and he messaged me. First, it was just small talk, and out of nowhere he was like, “Hey, come over. I wanna tittyf**k you so hard.” Obviously I said no, and then two minutes later, he sent me a huge message calling me a “fat, ugly, stupid whore” and lots of other stuff. I sent him something sassy back, and then we unmatched each other.”

What’s the best Tinder experience you’ve ever had?

Justin: “My best Tinder moment was probably setting up a cute coffee date with Amanda. We had tried to figure out almost three other times to meet, but none worked, so I think both of us were excited when we finally met up! When we started talking, it was like I was talking to a friend I knew my whole life. We ended up sitting and talking for hours; it was great!”

Amanda: “My best experience was definitely with Justin, which kind of goes without saying because we’ve been dating for 10 months. I’d talked with other guys, and whenever it came to trying to meet up, I’d get a bad feeling and end it, but that never happened with him. When we did meet up, nothing felt awkward or forced. He was just really easy to be with.”

Did you expect to end up dating someone when you started using the app?

Justin: “Not really no. To be honest, I was kind of just looking to hook up and go out, but when I started to talk to Amanda, it was different, and I asked myself, ‘self, she’s beautiful, smart, funny and likes to have a good time! You should definitely try for something real!’”

Amanda: “I didn’t get on Tinder looking for a relationship, but I was open to it, if it happened, and it did.”

Although this user never met any of her matches in person, Katie* shares some of her laughable and cringe-worthy Tinder history.

Katie: “The creepiest would either be finding my cousin (NOT swiping right) or coming across guys who say they are married but want ‘side action’.”

Katie: “I’m not really sure there was a best. I had a nice conversation once, but it turns out he had a girlfriend.”

After ending her long-term relationship with her high school sweetheart, Sam* reflects on her vibrant Tinder life.

Sam: “There was this one guy that I swiped right on, and I was drunk. He was talking about me giving him a blow job, and I wasn’t feeling it. We unmatched and then we matched again, and it’s just been a cycle of matching and unmatching because he always makes a new Tinder.”

Sam: “Last year, there was one guy in particular who I matched up with. He and I were both going through not being with our high school sweethearts, and it was really great to have him to talk about that because none of my friend’s had been through that experience. I think that helped me a lot because it forced me to address these feelings I had that I would keep pushing to the back of my head before I met this guy. And then of course, matching with old high school friends and catching up with them. As far as I’m concerned, it was completely platonic.”

*Names have been changed.

Caffeine lover. Animal activist. New York City dreams.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian