On Being a Queer WOC – A short profile on writer Gabby Rivera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Gabby Rivera is a queer, Bronx-born Puerto Rican author whose characters reflect instances from her own life. Her first book, Juliet Takes a Breath, was independently published in 2016 and republished in 2019 by Penguin Random House. In her book, Rivera writes about Juliet, a teenage girl who is figuring out, in her own words, “This whole ‘Puerto Rican lesbian’ thing” just like Rivera once did. The book talks about Juliet’s family’s reaction to her coming out. It is a realistic account of how many queer teens navigate the world and the many challenges that they face. She is also the first Latina woman to ever write for Marvel Comics and is inspiring thousands of young girls around the world with her stories of America Chavez, a queer and Latina superhero. 

In a conversation with students at Michigan State University, Rivera spoke about how important it was to her to write America’s story to normalize the idea of queer parents and female superheroes. She also spoke about how she created the “Ancestral Realm” out of a desire to have one for herself so she could learn more about her Puerto Rican heritage directly from her ancestors. Rivera provided insight into what it was like to be the granddaughter of two Puerto Rican women who immigrated to the United States out of necessity and spoke about how the culture and people were lost due to the American oppression in Puerto Rico. In her presentation, she included a powerful image from the America Chavez comic in which the protagonist is seen punching Adolf Hitler in the face while saying, “Not on my watch sucker.” When asked about what advice she would give to the queer folks of this generation, Rivera touched the listeners by reminding them that they were loved and that they belonged where they were, just as the hundreds before them had belonged. 

Rivera is currently working on a project with BOOM! Studios, and hosts her own podcast called Joy Revolution.  

Sources:

https://gabbyrivera.com

Inspiring Radical Creativity- A talk with Gabby Rivera, Michigan State University, Conversation with Gabby Rivera (March 15, 2022)

Shrishti is an Economics major who is a little obsessed with chai, sitcoms, and the color turquoise. While she regrets growing out of her bookworm lifestyle, Shrishti enjoys the occasional work of fiction especially when it is accompanied by a warm cup of her mother's filter coffee. She is a proud feminist and is always open to learning about how she can make her activism more intersectional. In her free time, Shrishti can be found dancing around her room to either Taylor Swift or early 2000s Bollywood music, or sometimes even a weird combination of the two.