Nurturing Growth at MSU’s Horticulture Gardens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Currently, as a student with two majors, a minor, and two jobs, having an outlet to draw sanity from has been very important to me. As a pre-med student, nearly every moment I spend seems dedicated to the pursuit of medical school. I enjoy all the work that I do, but sometimes the responsibilities can be slightly overwhelming. That’s why I find it important, in all this stress, to be able to have something redeeming to pull me out of the gutter when I need it. The hours I spend working at the greenhouses and gardens on campus offer not just respite, but invaluable lessons and insights that help when it comes to navigating the complexities of my journey through college. 

Some of these insights are:

1. Getting Dirty is Fun

Ever since childhood, the allure of outdoor adventures has held me captive, igniting a passion for nature that defined my early years. I would make forts with scraps of trees and vines that I would find sprawled across the forest floor, reveling in the world around me because nature could always provide me with comfort. However, the demands of college made it nearly impossible to find the time to get outside and really enjoy myself and the outdoors. Just last year, I started working at the horticulture gardens on campus, allowing my childhood passion for nature to resurface and providing me with the necessary motivation to start spending more time outside. During the summer, I spent hours drenched in the sun performing tasks such as hauling mulch, nurturing plants, and more. Because of the work that I do at the gardens, I was able to reconnect with nature and remember how important it is to me to be able to spend time outside. 

1. Bugs Are My Friends

From my earliest days, the world of creepy crawlies has held a mesmerizing grip on my curiosity. I’ve been infatuated with bugs since the moment I was a little kid picking out bugs on a soccer field. However, when I moved back to Michigan in 2015, my interest in bugs seemed to wane as I made the transition to a different state. It wasn’t until my sophomore year of college that I started going to Bug Club to renew my interest in insects once again, and I rediscovered the joy that bugs bring me through engaging activities and knowledge. Shortly after that, I started my job at the gardens and I met people who further contributed to my regained interest in bugs. It was truly mesmerizing being surrounded by a kaleidoscope of butterflies, bees, wasps, dragonflies, and the like. Seeing all the colors in the gardens was quite a magical experience for me. 

1. Plants Are My Babies

Taking care of plants has always been an interest for me, I’ve just never found the motivation to go out and select plants that would be a good fit. Now, I am the proud owner of 15+ plants. I never would have expected to own as many plants as I do now, but my plants have helped me as much as I have helped them. This might sound strange, but I have found that talking to my plants sometimes gives me the necessary clarity my head needs to keep chugging. I never would have suspected that I’d own as many plants as I do now, but seeing all the colors and varieties of plants in the gardens and greenhouses has opened my eyes to the endless beauty that surrounds us if we only just go outside. 

1. Having Differentiation in My Life

I spend the majority of my time preparing for medical school, and because of this, I’m alloted very little free time. As graduation looms closer, my schedule swells with commitments to work, research, academics, and other responsibilities. Luckily, the sanctuary of the gardens is an escape from the relentless pursuit of scientific knowledge that I’ve been learning. Don’t get me wrong – I am intrigued by the things that I have learned from my classes, but it is nice to step away from the intensity of it. Having the opportunity to spend some time with plants during the week is a fun way to destress and allow my mind some time to rest. 

1. Teamwork

Throughout my time at MSU, I’ve crossed paths with numerous individuals, but the connections I’ve forged while working at the gardens stand out as some of the most remarkable. Devoting 40 hours per week at the gardens over the summer with the same people every single week had the potential to be quite draining, but it turned out to be the place where I made exceptional friendships and unforgettable memories. The people I have encountered in these gardens has not only made the work that I do enjoyable, but has become an integral part of the unique experiences I’ve had since stepping onto this campus. 

As I reflect on my journey that has been throughout MSU’s horticulture gardens, I am reminded that I can gain satisfaction not only from academic achievements, but also from the relationships and memories that I cultivate along the way. Through the nurturing embrace of nature, I was able to find a renewed sense of purpose due to the work that I do in the gardens. Even after I depart from the life that I’ve shaped in college, I will take with me the invaluable lessons I’ve learned and the cherished memories that I forged, knowing that a part of MSU’s horticulture gardens will always be a part of me.

Kaitlyn Wilcox has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since the spring of 2024. Kaitlyn Wilcox is a junior at Michigan State University. She studies Human Biology and Psychology, with a minor in Creative Writing. She aspires to go to medical school with the goal of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon. In her free time, she likes to read books, spend time with family and friends, and care for her plants.