Now and Then by the Beatles: Minor Backstory and Major Thoughts

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

“Now and Then” by the Beatles was released on Nov. 2nd, 2023, and this is Earth-shattering for so many Beatles fans. 

The title of the song, while written into the chorus decades ago, is now very fitting. The ’now’ being Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr at ages 81 and 83 respectively, and the ‘then’ being John Lennon – who passed away in 1980 – and George Harrison – who passed away in 2001 – harmonizing. It is pretty dystopian to hear McCartney – over double the age that Lennon was when he died – with Harrison and Lennon, singing a new Beatles song with Starr’s timeless drums. It’s not a remaster or a demo with fixed auto: it’s truly, completely new and never heard by any Beatles fans. This is so exciting, and as I said, it feels unreal.

Fourteen years after Lennon was killed by David Chapman, McCartney received this song. John and the entire band had made a demo of ‘Now and Then,’ which Yoko Ono gave to Paul. It was rumored by many to have a handwritten note ‘For Paul’ on it, as Lennon hoped that he would finally finish the song. They had previously thought it wasn’t good enough to be a Beatles song. This was until they released it 19 years later, in all 23 years after McCartney was given the demo. Many think the song’s meaning could very well be John writing and singing to Paul, about them and their relationship. 

My parents were not born in time to see the Beatles all together, my grandma still remembers the Beatles in their prime, and I grew up viewing their music as vintage: we all get to enjoy this. Their timeless and loved music has skipped generations yet remained so important to many. This is the third single released since their break up, both of the first, “Free as a Bird” and “Real Love,” being released in the nineties.

It is not close to a favorite of mine, as they have so many good songs to choose from. Including not being my favorite, nor second favorite single released since the breakup, it is still undeniably a great song. I thought that it was beautiful and had strong ties to an indie/alternative pop style so easily related to older Beatles music. It has a sweet, simple chorus and will be stuck in your head for days. The harmonies are dulcet and melancholic. Many will say some of the original haunting emotions of this song were lost when transferred to the demo, but I truly disagree. I do think the production is a little heavy, but I can’t imagine the process of producing music and mixing sounds of such different quality. I think anyone who thinks this is also not taking into account McCartney’s voice at 80 either. I really don’t think that has influenced my opinions on the song. 

“Now and Then” is a song that saved 2023 and is being enjoyed by so many different music demographics. I think we are all lucky to live in this age of music and to hear, and see, the release of a possible final single of the most iconic band of all time.

Tait is a first-year student at Michigan State University. This is her second semester as an HC chapter member. Tait is a psychology major who has always been passionate about the subject. She also loves to read and write, she was in her high school literature club, which inspired her to join HC. When she is not reading or studying, Tait enjoys playing sports like soccer and field hockey. She loves to be with her friends and is always consuming copious amounts of media.