A Note to Underclassmen and High School Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the semester comes to an end, and graduation quickly approaches, it seems inevitable to reflect on the years spent in college. I have found myself thinking so much about everything I have experienced and gone through these past four years, and what I would change or do differently. However, this article isn’t about my college experiences, but rather, a word of advice for anyone who isn’t a college senior. 

Growing up, I feel as though kids are always in a rush to get to the next step in life. We seem so focused on rushing our childhood to do all these things that older generations are doing, that we don’t even take time to enjoy the present. I am here to tell you, though, that the time is going to fly by. If there is any advice I can give you it’s this: slow down and enjoy every moment you’re in now. If you are in middle school, high school, or even an underclassman in college, trust me you are going to wish the time hadn’t gone by so fast. There is going to come a day where you won’t be waking up early for class, you won’t have homework, you won’t have any school events to go to, you won’t be walking to class, you won’t be in your college town, you won’t see all the friends you’ve known for years, you won’t be able to do all the things you’re doing now. Growing up isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be either. You are going to miss the moments you’re in now way more than you realize. 

You may be thinking that you haven’t had the typical high school or college experience, so there’s no way you are going to miss these years, but trust me, you will. Although graduating from college is such an exciting experience and a big accomplishment, it marks the end of your childhood completely. Graduating college means entering “the real world”. This is where all those things you’ve planned on doing in your life actually have to start happening. For most people, this is the time to get a job and seriously figure out what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Graduating means adulthood, and it can be terrifying to think about. 

I know I already said it, but for me, I have found myself thinking how fast these past four years have flown by. Yes, there were weeks that felt like years, or days that felt like weeks, but in reality, college and high school are going to fly by faster than you think. I urge you to really enjoy all the amazing things you are able to experience during this time. Also, for those who are still in high school or just came into college, here is my advice for you: make the most of these years. I know we are in weird times right now, and you may not have been able to do all the things you have thought about your whole life, and you may not be able to have a “typical experience”, but you should still make the most of this time. Eventually, things will return to somewhat “normal” and you are going to have more opportunities to do things and make memories, and personally I think you should take part in as much as you can. 

If there’s one thing I regret about my college experience, and even some of my high school experience, it’s that I didn’t push myself enough. I didn’t step out of my comfort zone enough and because of that there are many experiences I didn’t have. If you are coming into college, it’s okay to be nervous and scared, or to not have any idea what you are doing. Trust me, so many people are feeling the same way. But don’t let the fear overwhelm you and limit what you do. Make the most of this time. Say yes to doing new things and events. Have fun and truly enjoy these years.

Hello my name is Ashley White. I am going to be a senior at Michigan State University this fall. I am majoring in physiology on the pre-med tract. My current goal is to attend medical school and become a neonatal surgeon. I love Grey's Anatomy. I am absolutely addicted to TikTok and I feel like sometimes I have meaningful stuff to say :)
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.