No Such Thing as “Too Nice”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The concept of “too nice” has always been of question to me. What is “too nice”? Is it when you’re nice to someone who isn’t nice to you? Is it when you’re nice to someone who doesn’t deserve it?

I’m a firm believer that there isn’t such thing as “too nice.” Call me naive, but since when is being nice seen as a task? Since when do we only treat people the way they deserve?

When I hear stories of people who go out of their way to sabotage one another, the first thing that comes to mind is what a waste of time. Why would you waste your time to hurt another person? What do you get out of it?

There is only one way I will treat people: the way I want to be treated. I want to be treated with respect, and, therefore, I treat people with that same respect. Imagine if instead of pushing each other down, we all collectively chose to raise each other up. What if we all stopped backstabbing, gossiping and putting each other down? Loved ourselves and loved others.

Trust me, there are people who will take advantage of this. There are rude people in the world. There are people who will purposefully hurt or put others down. And there are always people with bad intentions. It’s easy to fall victim to these people and return the hate back to them. But, me? I promise I’ll treat them with kindness.

There is so much hatred. In all races and genders, it seems as if everyone is stuck in “getting revenge” or “being the bigger person.” Let’s stop this and “use kindness as your best revenge.”

So, pardon my French, but “too nice” my ass. I promise to always treat others the way I want to be treated.  

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian