No night receptionists? No problem.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

A new pilot program at Michigan State University has implemented a change in regards to dorm security and the safety of students.

The new program developed by the Department of Residence Education and Housing Services is replacing student check-in by night receptionists at the front doors of residence halls with ID swipe entrances in both North and Brody neighborhoods, said safety and security service coordinator of REHS Natisha Foster.

“The pilot program consolidates the after hour night receptionists into two buildings in West Circle – Yakeley and Mayo, the Brody main building, and Snyder for Mason Abbot. This will allow us to utilize the access system more fully,” Foster said. “It’s one area of security we thought we could try something new in. Lots of other schools are doing it.”

The night receptionists that remain on duty at night beginning at 12 a.m. now sit behind the service center desk just as the day receptionist does. They no longer have the responsibility of checking residents in, and any resident of the dorm can enter with their MSU student ID, said Campbell Hall senior resident assistant Jessica Pedersen.

“With this program we did hire two additional officers that have primary focus in Brody and North neighborhoods and they are there more frequently,” Foster said. “The police have always been asked to do rounds in the residence halls but they are focused on community policing in these neighborhoods especially.” 

This new program poses as a positive impact in terms of convenience for residents but also a possible negative for the security of students on campus.

“My initial reaction was ‘Oh my gosh. No one’s checking them in, there will strangers everywhere,’” Pedersen said. “But, at least from what I’ve noticed on my rounds, there hasn’t been any real increase in incidents or strangers or anything like that.”

Lindsay Spagnuolo, sophomore elementary education major living in Gilchrist Hall, said she favors this new change in her neighborhood.

“I really like this new program because it’s a lot more convenient coming home after midnight, especially after the library. I also love not having to check my friends in who don’t live in Campbell. It’s just a lot less work,” Spagnuolo said.

As stated in the MSU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report released by MSU Police in early October, “Safety is an important issue for the Michigan State University community. Each member of the campus community – students, faculty, and staff – should take an active role in preventing and reporting incidents that jeopardize safety on and around campus.”

Megan Steinberg, sophomore elementary education major living in Campbell Hall, said she was unsure about the safety issue with the new program.

“With stuff that has happened in the past on campus with random people coming in, I don’t know if it’s actually in our best interest,” said Steinberg.

Senior resident assistant in Mayo Hall Zach Retterath said he knows the significance of staying safe on campus and considers it his highest priority as a resident assistant.

“Making sure residents are safe and secure is why I have the job in first place,” Retterath said. “That’s the whole reason we (resident assistants) go on duty at night, so we can keep an eye out in the residence halls and be support for any student that needs us.”

Retterath also said he favors this new change the pilot program has brought to his neighborhood and does not believe it hinders the security of residents due to the increased duties of RA’s like himself because of it.

“We have more responsibilities now while we’re on duty such as completing lockouts. This is when a resident forgets their ID and cannot swipe themselves in to the building, and we get the phone call to let the resident in,” Retterath said. “It’s somewhat of a bummer but I understand it’s all for the benefit of the residents and it seems to be working.”

Regardless of this new policy in progress, Retterath said students should certainly always be aware of their surroundings and stay cautious of the people they are surrounding themselves with.

Robin Hattersley Gray, Executive Editor of Campus Safety Magazine, said general awareness and personal security are most important.

“Students as individuals the ones most ultimately qualified and responsible to take care of themselves,” Gray said. “Campuses should take steps to protect their students, but the ultimate person responsible for you is you.”

Gray said she believes that having a well-trained person to check students in to the building at night throughout MSU’s campus would be a very good thing, but if students were responsible and cautious, the card access system would work fine as a subsequent alternative.

Foster of REHS said the future of the night receptionist position in the pilot program is still to be determined.

“We’re currently working on our assessment plan and we’re going to do some analyzation with staff and students as well,” Foster said. “We’re also going to look at what the data shows as far as incidents in the residence halls and are planning to pull a team together to make recommendations to decide for the future.”

Foster said no matter what becomes of the night receptionist position, the well being of students at MSU are number one priority for REHS as well as all other faculty and staff.

“We’ll always continue looking at ways we can change and improve to have safety and security be the primary focus for our residents,” said Foster.

Senior at Michigan State University studying Journalism. MSU ComArtSci Writer. Dog-lover and social media enthusiast. Extreme crafter.
Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis