Style

Nine Merch Ideas for your Student Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Even though the current school year is coming to a close, club and chapter leaders across the country are starting to plan for the fall semester and recruiting for their student organization.

While searching for possible ideas for my own chapter of Her Campus, I personally struggled trying to find unique items. Below I listed nine ideas for student organizations, whether they are for the whole chapter, for recruitment, or for giveaways. Hopefully something clever and within budget will stand out for your next merch order. 

Tumbler Cups

While on the more expensive side, custom tumblers for your organization would be beyond cool. They would also do recruiting all on their own when fellow students see members representing their club in classes. Another cheaper option would be to order plastic cups for a specific event.

Stickers

Pretty self explanatory, I prefer to use Etsy when ordering custom stickers, and they are usually cheaper. Especially if members make the designs, it’s a great way to get people more involved and to get more people on your executive board.

Wrist Bands

We’ve all seen these, and we all probably have a ton of them buried away somewhere. However, if ordered in bulk, they are fairly inexpensive. These would be better fit for a specific event or incentive point prize bags rather than regular club merchandise.

Temporary Tattoos

These would be adorable for recruiting events, game days, or other picture perfect opportunities.

T-Shirts

A staple, shirts are even better if you change up the designs each year like we do. Additionally, with other garments like sweatshirts, sweatpants, beanies, and socks, the options are endless.

Blankets

Being more expensive, these would be a better option for a giveaway to club members or to give your club members the option to buy them.

Tapestries/Flags

Amazing for pictures and dorm decor. There are various websites that offer this but you would likely be better buying these in bulk and selling them over the span of a few years considering they would be an initial investment.

Tote Bags

Not enough clubs have these, and not nearly enough Her Campus chapters do, either. This is something my chapter is looking into doing next year because we all love T-shirts, but these are just as practical and a tad bit cheaper.

Chapsticks

Inexpensive, practical, and adorable. I’m not sure how well these would sit over time, but even if you order a ton, they’ll go quickly. If you’ve exhausted your other typical merch items, these are a great refresher and members will love them. 

Most of these options are accessible through a quick internet search, and from there you will choose based on budget and the desired quantity. I will, however, recommend checking Etsy or other small businesses first before going straight to the big name brands.

Merchandise in general is a great investment, as they can assist during peak recruitment times to showcase opportunities within your organization as well asr bringing together your team and taking cute promotional photos. But, even after the initial purchases and handouts are said and done, these items will continue to show off and promote your club as students and the community will see all these items in use throughout the year.

Kaytlyn is a Senior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over six years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program, College Fashionista program, and the HCM Internship Credit program. Outside of Her Campus, Kaytlyn has two cats, Leo and Zelda, as well as a ferret named Willow. She is also the President, Marketing Director, and a co-founder of the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is also a cheer coach.