This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spooky Season is upon us! The best time of the year. I always look forward to all the candy, costumes— and Halloween parties, of course. However, living in Michigan, I always wondered what there was to do other than haunted houses! After all, who hasn’t been to one of those? The lack of things to do (more specifically, things that we KNOW of), inspired me to do a ‘lil bit of research to spice up this special night. 

Here is a list of things to do in Michigan other than the basic fright-night at your local haunted house! So, grab your friends and family and get to it! 

DeBuck’s Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch – Bellville, MI

Don’t be fooled by the title, DeBuck has a lot more to offer. With a country kitchen full of donuts, cider and chili, mac n’ cheese, nachos and other snacks, what more could you want? They also have a sunflower patch, and a play area for kids and pets! The corn maze and pumpkin patch is a perfect date idea, or even just a family day out!

Parmenter’s Cider Mill – Northville, MI

Ahh. Cold (or hot) cider with a cinnamon sugar donut on a fall afternoon hits the spot. On Halloween might I add? Recipe for the perfect beginning to a spooky day. Parmenter’s has more than just apple products— they also have fudge, wine, and maple syrup! Going to a cider mill has been my staple for the past couple of years.

HauntedFest – Grand Rapids, MI

If you’re looking for something out of the ordinary, you should definitely check out this Halloween (RAVE) for next year! With artists like Porter Robinson, RL Grime and Whethan, nothing will get your spirit higher than this! It’s a one day concert for 4 hours, but extremely worth it. Show off your costume underneath the bright lights!

Andy T’s Hayride – St Johns, MI

The classic college first-semester event. Nothing beats it. Grab your friend group, some jugs, and go have fun! At Andy T’s, they not only have a bakery, but also a corn maze and barn sites you can all go to. My first experience was one to remember!

Cookie Decorating and Pumpkin Carving/Painting!

This is the BEST girls night idea. I personally love art, even though I’m horrible at it, but will take every chance I get to have fun with it! Cookie decorating and painting reminds you of your childhood— and it’s something that will get you into the Halloween spirit with no doubt!

Terrified Forest – Pinckney, MI

I know I mentioned haunted houses BUT—this is a forest! A total game changer if you ask me. The site has security so you won’t need to worry about that, the prices are good, and it’s the best way to get spooked without going in a house. They also provide snacks, water, and other goodies along your trip!

As you can see, there’s so much more to do than the yearly routine. Enjoy your Halloween Season with these fun events!

Puja is a Human Biology major on the pre-dental track at MSU! She loves traveling, spending time with close ones and ~of course~ napping in her free time. Hope you guys enjoy!
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.