Ohio University Athens Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Hannah Moskoiwtz
Culture > News

Nice Weather isn’t an Excuse to Ignore Social Distancing Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With a sunny start to a new month, it seems as if May has already tried to brighten up the gloom brought upon by cloudy, rainy, April days. This month’s beginning was full of high temperatures and seemingly never-ending sunny days. Living in Michigan, we all know these days are few and far between, and that most residents prefer to spend these days soaking up as much sun as possible. But despite the nice weather, there is no excuse for ignoring the importance of social distancing. 

This past weekend, I cannot count how many people I saw posting pictures at a beach, hosting bonfires, or throwing large gatherings up north. It’s as if every single thing we collectively learned and battled during the months of March and April completely disappeared once May began. The coronavirus pandemic did not leave simply because the temperature went up. Disregarding the stay-at-home order, put in place by Governor Gretchen Whitmer, places you and those you come into contact with in danger. 

Both of my parents are healthcare professionals. They have seen the ferocity of this virus up close. They have witnessed patients, both young and old, desperately struggling to breathe, and watched as their quality of life deteriorated when there was nothing left to do. These patients are dying alone, without their families, and becoming another number in the daily death toll counted by the state. This is what you are risking when you decide to go have a beach day. You are putting your life into the hands of a virus that you may lose to. 

With that being said, there are many ways to enjoy the weather while maintaining distance. Last weekend, I met up with a friend back on campus who I had not seen since quarantine began. We sat in the Spartan Stadium parking lot (cars parked six-feet apart of course) bought some food to have for lunch, and chatted for hours on end. Many of my friends sat out and tanned in the sun, went on walks with their family, or found other unique ways to hang with one another while following proper social distancing guidelines. The majority of people are trying their best, and for that, I truly am proud to call this state my home. 

You still have the ability to enjoy all that Michigan summers have to offer, but should be consciously thinking of how to keep yourself and others safe. Quarantine is not a death sentence. You may be bored, but at least you are alive.

Abigail Dejene is an undergraduate student at MSU studying Social Relations and Policy and Comparative Cultures and Politics, with a minor in educational studies. In the future, Abigail hopes to go into nonprofit and educational policy work, as well as become an educator. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Abigail serves as a founding director for MSU’s Prison Reform Advocacy Group, a Rise fellow, and a Resident Assistant. This is her second year writing for HER Campus and her first year as an assistant editor.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.