Wellness

Niacinamide Serum for Acne: What My Skin Looks Like After 2 Months of Use

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As someone who’s struggled with skin issues for years, I’m always on the lookout for new skincare products that can make a difference. My acne flared up during the winter and left my skin red, dry, and irritated. I was desperate for something to keep my skin calm, and at the suggestion of my dermatologist, I decided to try a 5% niacinamide serum. I started with a lower percentage because I wasn’t sure how it would react to my skin, although different percentages may be required by different people depending on their skin types and the concerns they want to address.

Patch testing is extremely important, and once I was sure that the product didn’t react negatively with my skin, I began incorporating it into my nightly skincare routine. I started by applying it on my face as a mask, and leaving it on for 10 minutes before washing it off. I followed that up with moisturizer, and continued doing that for a week. My skin was definitely less puffy and red than usual. The hydration benefits of niacinamide kept my skin from feeling dry and tight during peak winter and helped keep sebum production under control, making my pores look smaller than they actually are. 

But what is really interesting about niacinamide is its ability to strengthen the skin barrier and make it more resilient. The skin barrier is the outermost layer of the skin, which helps to protect it from environmental stressors like pollution, UV rays, and harsh chemicals. When the skin barrier is compromised, it can lead to a variety of skin concerns such as dryness, sensitivity, inflammation, and even acne. Niacinamide protects the skin by strengthening the skin barrier. It increases the production of ceramides – a type of lipid found in the skin. Ceramides help to keep the skin barrier intact, preventing moisture loss and protecting the skin from damage. Combined with the right type of SPF, these two ingredients are great at protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun.

I transitioned from using Niacinamide for ten minutes to leaving it on overnight (always moisturize as the last step in your skin care), and after two months of usage, I can say that I love the product. My skin is definitely doing much better. I am less prone to breakouts and redness, and a lot of my darker acne scars have faded as well. My skin is brighter and is more resistant to dryness and sunburns. Niacinamide is a very versatile product, even helping with hyperpigmentation, fine lines, and wrinkles. 

If you’re looking for a simple and effective way to improve your skin, niacinamide is definitely worth trying out, but remember that everyone’s skin is different and what might work for me might not work for others. Please consult a licensed professional, like a dermatologist, before using an active ingredient on your skin. 

When it comes to skincare, the key is consistency – so keep up the good work, you got this!

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.