This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Over the past few years I’ve spent a lot of time moving and traveling. This has led me to find several items that make me an efficient and prepared traveler. Here are some suggestions on what to bring on your next trip! 

Packing

Before your trip even starts you have to decide how and what to pack. Personally, I’ve found that a backpack can be easier than a suitcase. The Osprey Fairview 55L Travel Backpack is my personal favorite. Even though it is technically too big for a plane, I’ve never had any issues with it. My favorite part of this pack is it has a detachable daypack! 

When organizing items in my luggage, I’ve found that packing cubes are extremely helpful. Not only are you able to sort your items efficiently but it helps you condense what you’re bringing. I also like to put a few plastic bags in my luggage in case I have any really dirty or wet items. Having a hanging jewelry and/or toiletry holder is another useful item to have. It keeps your items organized, secure, and easy to access when you get to your destination. 

Getting TSA approved luggage locks is a must! Not only will it keep your luggage together, having a lock during your travels can be necessary. Especially If you’re staying at a hostel, you’ll need a lock for storing your stuff. 

On The Go

Especially when you’re flying or going out of the country having your passport and vaccine card easily accessible is vital. I’ve found that a passport holder is an easy way to have all your important documents ready. A boarding pass can also be easily slid into the holder. 

A portable charger is a necessity for traveling. Anker specifically makes high quality chargers. Getting a charger that has the option to be solar powered can also be good for an extra boost on camping trips. 

Microfiber quick dry towels are a better choice for traveling than the typical bath towel. They’re more compact and come in lots of fun designs! 

Shoes

When packing shoes to wear the general goal is to have comfortable options.  Shoes are also generally bulky, so packing as few as possible and wearing your bulkiest shoes traveling can help. For more casual wear my go-to shoe options are Converse high tops, Teva sandals, and Hoka sneakers.

Miscellaneous 

Every trip I’ve been on I always leave space for a mini first aid kit. At the bare minimum carry Band-Aids, antiseptic wipes, and antibiotic ointment on you. There are multiple times I’ve had blisters or cuts and needed my first aid kit to quickly patch up and carry on with my day. 

An outlet adapter may also be needed depending on where you’re going. If you’re going to another country make sure you’re able to use your chargers. 

A mini manicure kit can be really helpful to bring along. Not only can it save you from having to rip off a hangnail, but often there’s also mini scissors in them which can be very useful. Also, you never know when you might need tweezers for a painful splinter. 

One of the best pieces of advice I got before my first trip abroad is to get a journal. It’s easy to forget certain details of your adventures but recording it in a journal will keep the memories fresh. I’ve found that writing about your travels when you’re headed home can be a good way to pass time. 

Each trip and everyone’s needs are different, but these items can be useful to everyone! Traveling is a lot of trial and error, but remember not to let that stop you from having fun. The more trips you take the more you’ll learn what is useful to bring and what’ll just sit in your suitcase. 

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.