Style > Fashion

Navigating Michigan Weather: Tips for Out-of-State Students

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Figuring out the type of attire to wear for a simple walk to class, a morning jog, or even a night out with friends can be pretty tough in Michigan – especially for an out-of-state student. Michigan is known for having drastic changes in its weather patterns, so even if it’s bright and sunny in one instance, it might be cold and rainy in the next.

Lucky for those who aren’t native to the Midwest, there are plenty of students at Michigan State University that know exactly what staples to have in the closet for any type of weather. Although there are a variety of types of apparel to have on hand in the event of unexpected weather, it’s just as good to have a few versatile baseline pieces to handle what’s coming in the next few months.

Long winter coat

To most, it may seem obvious to have a heavy coat to stay warm as the winter months approach. However, the best way to keep yourself protected from the elements is investing in a coat that reaches below the knees. This will ensure that the wind chill won’t bother you and that you’ll stay protected in the event of snow or rain.

Platform shoes

When thinking about footwear, owning a pair of winter boots seems like an obvious choice. In addition to these, it’s important to have some platform shoes that’ll keep you elevated above the snowy sidewalks for those cold winter walks to class. Wearing these shoes will keep your feet dry and warm and will also serve as a way to elevate any outfit.

Cheap jacket

One of the most age-old debates is the question of whether to wear a jacket to the bar or not. Although it’s possible to get away with not wearing one in the fall, things get tricky in the winter. A solution for this is getting a cheap, old jacket from a thrift store that you can dedicate specifically for going out. This way, if it does get misplaced, it won’t be a huge loss and it’s possible to get another one without breaking the bank.

Beanie

Out-of-state students will soon realize that a jacket is not the only thing you must wear in the winter in order to stay warm. Keeping your head warm with a beanie will guarantee you a much more comfortable experience outside and will also add a unique touch to your outfit. Try wearing your hair in braids or maybe even getting a beanie with a pom-pom on top.

Wool socks

Keeping your feet warm is the number one thing you’ll be thankful for. Wool is incredibly effective because of its quick-drying abilities and will keep you in check for walking to class (if you so choose).

Despite the daunting nature of Michigan’s weather, students have found ways to navigate the craziness and are happy to help those out-of-state who may never have seen a snowflake. By having just a few baseline items, you’re sure to stay warm throughout all of Michigan’s winter.

Kennedy DeMars is a member of Her Campus at MSU and it is her first year writing for the organization. DeMars is a freshman at Michigan State University and majors in journalism with a focus in broadcasting. She previously wrote for the Adams Kilt through her high school, and was a state qualifier for Broadcast Production Team in Business Professionals of America (BPA) as well as a national qualifier in Digital Marketing. Aside from Her Campus, DeMars is also a member of Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). When she's not writing, DeMars loves getting together with her friends, rewatching her favorite TV shows, and tap dancing.