Life > Experiences

My Secured Summer Schedule

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As someone who collects hobbies, I always find myself struggling to make time for everything I enjoy doing, especially during the school year. Now that summer is approaching, I wanted to make a list of all the projects I plan on exploring so that I can hold myself accountable to productivity.

Crochet

My favorite hobby for the past year has been crocheting, an incredibly satisfying and stress relieving activity. I tried my best to make time for it throughout the school year, but I wasn’t able to finish as many projects as I wanted to. With all of my Pinterest pins sitting there untouched, I will finally have time to work on my many incomplete projects. This includes my crochet tapestries (which are my favorite things to crochet), several bags, and room decorations like flowers, vines, and garlands.

Embroidery

During quarantine, I discovered embroidery and fell in love with it. I would make custom embroidered shirts, sweaters, and hoodies, and even began selling them at one point. When college started up, however, I lost touch with my passion for embroidery and haven’t been able to pick it up recently. Now with more open time, I hope I can jump back into it and finish a hoodie that I started almost two years ago!

Reading

As an incredibly avid reader in middle and high school, I absolutely love reading. However, it’s been a long time since I’ve cracked open a new book, the most recent was probably over a year ago. Through the semester, I reread some of my more light and nostalgic books like “Harry Potter” and “The Hunger Games” as a way to relieve stress. I’ve been saying that I want to start reading again, but haven’t actually done it. I hope this summer will finally be the time I stick by my word.

Writing

Making time for personal writing while taking five classes where essays are constantly due is extremely difficult. There are so many ideas written down in my Notes app, and I can’t wait to open it and explore them all. Writer’s block is such a real thing, so I hope I don’t have the misfortune of stumbling upon it this summer.

With so many things planned for the summer, instead of being overwhelmed, I am ecstatic to fill my schedule for them. My creativity has been at a deficit this year, so I want to make up for lost time!

Tracy Li is in her fourth year at Michigan State University, majoring in Mathematics and Secondary Education. She is a social media assistant for the Michigan State chapter. While her major is not aligned with writing, she has a deep passion for it, particularly in the form of creative writing. In her spare time, she enjoys crocheting, painting, and embroidering.