Life > Academics

My review of the dining halls at Michigan State University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As a college student, there is unlimited access to an unlimited amount of food. At Michigan State University, there are a variety of places throughout campus with an array of food choices: each dining hall provides gluten free, allergen free, and vegan options.

Brody Dining Hall, Brody Square

Location: Brody Neighborhood

Brody’s cafeteria is very big and spacious. In the dining hall, there are 9-10 different food stations to choose from. My favorite go-to in Brody Square is the Cayenne station. They mostly serve Mexican dishes, but the best part is the chips and queso!

Landon Dining Hall, Heritage Commons

Location: West Circle Neighborhood

Landon’s cafeteria is a bit on the smaller side, but the seating area seems to go on for miles. Their dining hall has seven food stations to choose from. Among the rest of the dining halls, I would say Landon’s dining hall has the best ambiance.

Case Dining Hall, South Pointe 

Location: South Neighborhood

Case’s cafeteria has a good variety for seven food stations. The seating area also has a good, spacious atmosphere. 

Snyder Philips, The Gallery 

Location: North Neighborhood

Snyder Phillips cafeteria has six food stations. The cafeteria is very nice and welcoming. One thing I like about Snyder Phillips dining hall is that they rotate the meal choices every day in the different food stations. They also have an art gallery that leans over the dining area, which is definitely worth checking out!

Shaw Dining Hall, The Vista 

Location: River Trail Neighborhood

Shaw’s cafeteria has four food stations to choose from. The atmosphere is very homey and abstract. I like their decor, as they make the walkways between the cafeteria and dining area very welcoming. I love how they drape fairy lights along the walls and the windows that overlook the River Trail Neighborhood.

Owen Dining Hall, Thrive

Location: River Trail Neighborhood

Owen’s cafeteria is the smallest on campus, with only four food stations in a small area. If you are looking for somewhere to study while enjoying a meal with the least amount of distraction, I would recommend Owen dining hall. 

Akers Dining Hall, The Edge

Location: East Neighborhood

I find the Akers dining hall to be very maze-like. It has 12 food stations to choose from, and most of the seating is located on the perimeter of the dining hall. If you like going out for meals with big groups of friends or with a club, Akers has the seating, for there are tables that fit 12+ people.

All the dining halls have great customer service and hardworking employees to go along with good food and better company. Please be courteous in every dining hall and enjoy your meals!

Sammie Howard is freshman at Michigan State University, majoring in Criminal justice. Her time with Her Campus consists of writing and helping with the design team. She loves shopping, hanging out with friends and family, and most importantly her dog.