This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I enjoy spending my time at the Michigan State University museum. I find the exhibits to bring me a child-like joy even after I’ve seen them so many times. I most definitely have my favorites and I would love to share that list to those looking for a new on-campus adventure.

1. The dinosaurs

The exhibit on the top floor is my absolute favorite. This is where you can find the full skeletons of dinosaurs. Until I came to college, I had never seen a fossilized skeleton. I adore looking at how large the different bones are. I’m always amazed by how large these reptiles were compared to some of the much smaller mammals that fall close in proximity to this display.

1. The wall of butterflies and moths

Growing up, I thought insects of all kinds were terrifying because of an episode on television. I was so scared to look them too close in the face. Regardless of that, I did and I found the beauty in the world around us. The specific wall has so many different kinds that vary in patterns.

1. 1.5 Degrees

This exhibit is no longer up, but the impact it had was insane. Looking through the different pieces, there was something to help anyone understand just how much danger we are in when it comes to climate change. There were diaries of a bee hospital that were absolutely heart-wrenching, a sitting space where you could listen to algae produced oxygen, mushrooms that made music using their electric currents, and so much more. Sitting and reading gave you an understanding of our world and how much help it needs.

1. First Fridays

I know this isn’t a direct exhibit, but it is my favorite event that is hosted at the museum. The most recent one was a silent disco. The wonderful part was they had more up their sleeve. As you walked through the familiar exhibits, there were tables set up with different indigenous tribes from around the world. You could learn their stories and how they are re-building. This isn’t the only time they’ve done this. In the last year, they also had different bugs around the taxidermy. I was always intimidated by hissing cockroaches, until I got to hold one. I realized just how dependent it was on me to be kind. 

While these may be my favorites, that doesn’t mean they will be your favorite. If you have the time, I highly encourage exploring the museum. Have fun, even if it seems a little scary at first. There is so much to learn that we wouldn’t have access to if it weren’t for museums.

Asterius Lenz is a sophomore with a passionate interest in psychology, hoping to work with LGBTQ+ youth in the future. One of the highlights of their college experience is their role as a staff writer for Her Campus, where they're eager to contribute their thoughts and insights. Beyond their academic pursuits, Asterius is a devoted advocate for mental health and the queer community. Identifying as trans, he has a deep commitment to being the representation they've longed for and didn't see growing up in a small town. He hopes that this will help the future LGBTQ+ children on their journey of self-discovery and self-love. In his free time, when not immersed in psychology classes, Asterius gravitates towards courses related to cinema and the arts, fueling their love for creative expression. However, when they step away from the classroom, they enjoy a variety of activities. His interests include watching TV and musicals, listening to music, engaging in crafting projects, and taking care of their beloved companion, Dior. Dior is a remarkable two-year-old cat who serves as an Emotional Support Animal and embodies the charming yet feisty personality often associated with cats—a trait playfully referred to as "tortitude.”