This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

My little sister fell down the K-drama rabbit hole one random day in 2022, and she dragged me along with her. I had heard of K-dramas before, but never got into actually watching one, so when my sister started bugging me about watching her favorites, my TV viewing habits changed forever. K-dramas opened up a whole new world of television for me, and I’m so thankful. I’ve watched a good number of them over the past two years, and these are my absolute favorites.

All of Us Are Dead

This was the first K-drama that my sister convinced me to watch with her. It follows a group of students as they try to survive a zombie apocalypse that has broken out inside their school, with no help from the outside world, which has also been overrun by zombies. Despite going into the show with the opinion that zombie apocalypse media is cliché, it blew away my expectations. The gore and special effects were so well done, they were genuinely frightening. The plot is perfectly written, and you will be invested in the story from start to finish. However, this show’s real shining star is how emotionally impactful it is. The characters’ youth and bittersweet humanity will relentlessly tug on your heartstrings, and everything they go through will leave you feeling crushed (but eagerly awaiting the second season, nevertheless). 

Business Proposal

Endlessly funny and playful, “Business Proposal” is the K-drama to watch when you need some romance and a good laugh. An entertainingly layered use of the fake dating trope, this drama follows Ha-ri as she goes on a blind date with a guy who turns out to be the CEO of the company that she works for, Kang Tae-moo, who needs to find a girlfriend to appease his overbearing grandfather. The two end up in a whirlwind of fake dating, hidden identities, and ridiculous situations. With likable characters, adorable romances, and entertaining plots, “Business Proposal” is a greatly enjoyable and comforting watch. 

Once Upon a Small Town

Small town charm doesn’t get any better than in this K-drama. In this show, a big city veterinarian goes home to the small village of Huidong after hearing that his grandfather had an emergency and needs him to run the village’s vet clinic. Once there, he meets a police officer who knows everything there is to know about the town and its people. Naturally, their paths cross many times and they fall in love. A lighthearted story about belonging, happiness, and accepting the love you deserve, this drama will restore your faith in wholesome romances. 

Twenty Five Twenty One

The best K-drama I have watched to this day is “Twenty Five Twenty One.” This drama is about five friends who are determined to follow their dreams and navigate their late teens and early 20s in the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis of 1997. I can only describe this show as storytelling at its finest. Every theme – friendship, love, youth, female athletics (fencing!), the news media, family – is written and showcased so excellently. The characters are lovable and relatable, with intensely real personalities and struggles. I’ve never watched something as beautiful and heartbreaking, with such a strong sense of nostalgia, than “Twenty Five Twenty One.” Make sure you have tissues nearby when watching this drama! It had me shedding more than a few tears, both happy and sad. 

Whether you’re new to the genre or an avid K-drama watcher, I highly recommend the four I’ve mentioned above. Out of all the K-dramas I’ve watched so far, these are the only ones I rated 5/5 stars, which means I think very highly of them and hope others will enjoy them too. I’m so happy to have found these shows that have become some of my favorites of all time, and I’m beyond grateful for the bonds with my sister and my friends that this genre has given me. Nothing beats the late night talks about which male lead is better, the loud laughter during the comedic bits, or the in-depth discussions of the plot written over text at 1 a.m. K-dramas gave these memories to me, and I hope they can do the same for you. 

Kendra Gilchrist is Senior Editor for Her Campus at MSU. She assists with and edits other members' articles, helps run the editing team, as well as writing her own articles. Gilchrist is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing. Gilchrist was the Journalism and Copy Editor for her high school yearbook during her senior year and recently interned at her local newspaper. In her free time, Gilchrist likes to read, obsess over tv and movies, go to concerts, and drink way too much coffee.