tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

My Favorite Holiday Movies to Start the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The holiday season is in full swing, and if you’re anything like me, you start the Christmas movie marathons as soon as possible. There’s nothing better than cozying up with a warm blanket to watch these festive films. It really helps to strengthen the holiday mood. Below is a list of a few of my absolute favorite holiday movies that are sure to turn up the Christmas vibes.

1. “The Santa Clause” franchise 

This franchise consists of three classic Christmas movies that are fun for the whole family. The main character, Scott, is suddenly forced to perform the duties of Santa after he accidentally kills a man in a Santa suit. The series incorporates comedy combined with elements of magic that make it an undeniable classic. Each movie has its own unique charm while continuing the overall funny storyline.

2. “Elf”

This movie is, deservedly so, one of the most popular Christmas movies every year. It’s undoubtedly hilarious while still having a sense of magical charm. It’s full of timeless quotes that I find myself repeating all the time. Overall, “Elf” is a heartwarming and fun classic that is a must-watch during the holiday season.

3. “Frosty the Snowman”

While there are many renditions of this movie, I suggest watching the original 1969 version. It is not technically a movie by today’s standards, since it is only 22 minutes long, but I had to add it to my list. From the timeless song to the old-school animation, this movie is nostalgic in many ways. Watching it always feels warm and cozy and it’s definitely one of my favorites.

4. “This Christmas”

I’ll start off by saying that this movie is not one that caters to the younger members of the family. Compared to the cheesy vibe of most Christmas movies (though I love those too), this one focuses more on the realities of family dynamics and drama that can arise during the holidays. While there are some heavy and emotional topics, there are also comedy and, of course, a big musical number. Overall, it’s another classic that I have to watch every year.

5. “Krampus”

Now, you might be a little confused, but hear me out. This is not your typical family Christmas movie at all. It is classified as a horror movie, which it definitely deserves, with its jump scares and holiday-themed demon monsters. The main beast, Krampus, punishes a family after they completely lose their Christmas spirit due to fighting amongst themselves. While this is not the theme of a typical Christmas movie, it can surely scare you into the holiday mood. If you stay jolly and happy during this season (as you should), Krampus will not come to torture and eat your whole family.

That concludes my list of some of the Christmas movies that I think everyone should watch at least once during the upcoming holiday season. I hope you give them a try if you haven’t already and love them as much as I do.

Caitlynn Cutler is a staff writer for Her Campus at MSU. This is her first semester wiring with the chapter. Cutler is a senior at Michigan State University. She is currently majoring in Human Biology with a concentration on Anatomy. She aspires to go to medical school and eventually begin a career as a radiologist. When she's not doing homework, Cutler is working online with children from her hometown school as a tutor. She tutors 1st through 4th grades students in Math and English Language Arts. In her free time, Cutler enjoys listening to music and spending time with her Snoodle puppy.