This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

One of my favorite activities is going to different bookstores. It’s a relaxing, quiet, and calm atmosphere to be in, making it a nice way to de-stress. Also, it’s a great way to kill some time if you’re bored in the middle of the week! With that said, I’ve discovered some great bookstores within the past year or so that I think you should visit!

Bound for Books

If you’re visiting Northern Michigan and you find yourself passing through Cadillac, I’d definitely recommend checking out Bound for Books. This store sells used books that are in really great condition. Everything is half price or less! Some great titles I’ve bought from there include “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine,” “The Kiss Quotient,” and “A Man Called Ove.” For a smaller used bookstore, I was very pleased with the selection!    

Blue Vase Book Exchange

The Blue Vase Book Exchange is another great one to check out if you’re ever up North! It’s located in Interlochen, which is near Traverse City. This store has a ton of books to choose from for very cheap prices! It might take a little longer to look through the inventory, but it’s well worth it. On my last trip there, I bought “Dance of Thieves” and “When Dimple Met Rishi” (both in hardcover and in great condition), for less than $6!

Schuler Books

I absolutely love Schuler Books! If you’re in the East Lansing/Okemos area, you have to visit this place. This bookstore has a great selection of new books, an amazing used book section, and an overstock inventory. I go to Schuler Books a minimum of 3 times a week. It’s a serious addiction! My favorite part of this store is the used book section. I’ve found a ton of great titles and even new releases for half off or less! Some recent titles I’ve purchased from the used section are “Where the Crawdads Sing,” “Honey Girl,” “The Way of Kings,” and “The Push.” Some of these titles just came out this year!

Bookoutlet.com

Now, this one may not be a real store, but it’s a fantastic website! Whenever I’m bored, I enjoy browsing through this site for way too long. Bookoutlet sells overstock books (so they’re brand new!) for incredibly cheap.There’s always sales going on, and sometimes when you order from them, they’ll send you a $5 off coupon! I have a huge collection of books, and the majority definitely come from this site. Just yesterday I bought “The Mothers” and “Daisy Jones and The Six”! I told you I’m addicted.

Books-A-Million

While this is a chain store, I think it deserves some credit for its incredible bargain section. I’ve found so many great books in this section and it’s saved me so much money! Books-A-Million also has a good rewards system and the occasional buy two get the third free sale.

If you happen to be like me and like reading and buying books, you should definitely check out these stores! Without them, there’s no way I’d be able to fund my addiction.

Rayna is a junior in the School of Journalism. Her focus is in environment, science and health reporting, as well as health promotions. Rayna likes hiking, coffee, books, art, and plants.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.